Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 or 25.06

6.5x55 or 25.06

hi guys
    First post but been lurking for a few months ,i know they are miles apart ballistically but its the end result that im interested in. I have just applied for a fac after a GOOD FEW YEARS OFF, originally after MUCH thinking and months of research on here and else where i was going for a swede ! im on a very tight budget and it was going to be a cz with something like a cheaper leupold on it, HOWEVER ive just been staying with a rfd friend in scotland and he has a tikka t3 lite with a docter 3-12x56 scope and harris bipod on it at a riculously low price (mates rates and its only fired a few (50) rounds!) BUT its in .25-06 ! i have searched on here and see a few members use one to good effect like "sikamalk",and i will eventually reload so ammo supply is not a problem ! my main species will probably be roe and sika in sw scotland but there will be oportunities down here in devon for reds and heres the reason for the question! how would a .25-06 cope with a large red stag ? if the oportunity arose ! i apreciate i would be using bullet weights at the top of the scale with a .25 how does this compare with the swede using mid weight ? also there would be a bit of foxing done with this rifle and it would save me trying to get a .223 later on ,also how good are the optics on a docter it seems ok but not looked through one in low light ! at the end of the day its deer that get the priororty !!!!!

sorry mods wrong section could you move it please

Go for the .25-06 you will not regret it.

It will be a far better option than a 6.5 x 55

Used my 6.5 on all six species to great effect running 140g Sierra's SPBT

RF,

It did not work to well on sika from what heard.

Go with the 25!
    Dropped plenty of reds with mine,big ones as well!
    If you for the 6.5 then go for something other than the 6.5x55.

regards
    griff

I,ve had a .25 now have a 6.5swede both will do all you ask if you do your bit the gun and scope are both good quality if you can get theese at mates rates dont let calibre hold you back.

Quote Originally Posted by john robbo [url
    www.yorkshired]I,ve[/url] had a .25 now have a 6.5swede both will do all you ask if you do your bit the gun and scope are both good quality if you can get theese at mates rates dont let calibre hold you back.
    Good answer!

The .25-06 is a good round. If you're foxing with it maybe it even beats the 6.5x55. Now I love the swede - it's what I shoot, but the .25-06 is more like a .243. Lighter bullets, flat trajectory etc, but with a lot more punch. Only down side I can see is it's a bit of a boomer, but it will certainly do the job. I don't know many people who have them but the ones that do are very happy with them. Meat damage from the high velocity may be an issue, but don't quote me on it?

quote="njc110381"]The .25-06 is a good round. If you're foxing with it maybe it even beats the 6.5x55. Now I love the swede - it's what I shoot, but the .25-06 is more like a .243. Lighter bullets, flat trajectory etc, but with a lot more punch. Only down side I can see is it's a bit of a boomer, but it will certainly do the job. I don't know many people who have them but the ones that do are very happy with them. Meat damage from the high velocity may be an issue, but don't quote me on it?[/quote]

it was the velocity/penetration before expansion issues that i was thinking more about rather than the actual damage to the meat ! i know its down to load but it is a fast round ! clean kills are paramount ! i like to think im a stalker rather than a shooter ! really not overly concerned weather i get the shot, just enjoy the stalk ! though ultimately its the chance of a shot that gets me stalking if that makes sense ! what ever i end up with it will eventually end up with a can on it ,i have shot a friends swede and its such a sweet round and seems to kill ok for him ,thats what first drew me to the round but the price im looking at would allow me to get much better optics "i think "from the start . though i do like wood as im a bit of a traditionalist " but the tikka does feel very nice to carry and most of my stalking will be on foot

SD Regular
    The 25-06 is pointless. It does nothing that the 270 Winchester doesn't do better.

The 6.5x55 is a totally different and for the UK very useful cartridge for all deer.