6x57 mauser

shaun868s

hi any of u lads out there have any 6x57 mauser emty cases i want to try and neck them down to 5.6x57 need about 20 to try and see if it works cheers shaun

hi any of u lads out there have any 6x57 mauser emty cases i want to try and neck them down to 5.6x57 need about 20 to try and see if it works cheers shaun

It works. Look up the "224 Clark" wildcat from the early 1960's, IIRC. It's a 257 Roberts necked to .224 diameter. Excellent cartridge. The originator was way ahead of his time, killing deer with 80 grain .224 bullets from fast twist barrels. Unfortunately, at the time he was largely considered an eccentric fool.~Muir

When Clark was doing his wildcat there was a reason he avoided the 6mm cases but for the life of me, I can't remember why. Something to do with the brass dimensions (thicknesses) but I don't remember which ones.~Muir

Well 6 mm Rem cases are available so it seems a good idea to try them.............................. doe it not?

I think there's a typo somewhere. 6x57 hasn't been around for decades.

6mm Remington cases won't do.

Do you have a rifle in 5.6x57 RWS?

Do you have dies for the cartridge? If so, what make are they?

hi sinistral i have a krico 56x57 krico and i have hornady dies i have some rws cases but my problem is 5out 10 cases are spliting ate neck and shoulder when fired im not loading them hot but as you probley know you have to load them nearly max to that thick brass rws case to expand thats why i want to try another case shaun

hi sinistral i have a krico 56x57 krico and i have hornady dies i have some rws cases but my problem is 5out 10 cases are spliting ate neck and shoulder when fired im not loading them hot but as you probley know you have to load them nearly max to that thick brass rws case to expand thats why i want to try another case shaun

I'm pretty sure that there are only RWS cases for the 5.6x57 as it's a proprietary calibre. On checking even Hirtenberger don't load it.

It sounds like the Hornady dies aren't designed to cope. I've had real problems with RWS cases for this, but it's the design rather than the make.The problem is the abnormally thick neck which also tapers towards the end. The outside neck diameter is actually greater than a .243. It's so stiff it's like iron to resize & expand so it work-hardens very quickly, then splits on firing.

You could reduce the percentage of split cases by a more tapered expander, or neck sizing in 2 steps (try using the seating die body) but methinks you're stuck with original RWS cases. I wouldn't recommend converting 6mm Rem which are undersize. If I was reforming for this calibre there's a better candidate, but you'd have to let me borrow your dies to prove my theory works! :):lol:

Oh well tis of no matter then. But I just checked and I do have some used 6mm Rem RP brass. I think plod must have felt daunted when he opened the cupboard to find yet more ice cream container filled with used brass. So they left these even thought hey took many thousands more.

I never considered that the 6x57 is obsolete or course but then I was used to making up 6.5x53R which is obsolete.

no probs with that sinistral pm me your address and ill send you my dies have you had a 5.6x57 i also have a 6.5x68 and a 8x68 i use rws cases for them and have no probs shaun

Back