Black and Tan

6pt-sika

For I'd say close to twentyfive years I've had a taste for a mix in the USA called Black and Tan . Typically this consists of half Guiness and half Bass here . Sometimes Murphy's might be substituted or Harp or whatever .

Anyway is a "Black and Tan" something thats drunk in Taverns or Pubs in the UK or is this just an American adaption ?

Black and Tan typically relates to the Irish uprising. The English (then ruling) decided in their wisdom to recruit a whole load of murders, rapists and other detritus and ship them over to Ireland to put them down. My wife is of Irish line and one of her distant relatives lost all of her sons. 3 of them I think. All went out one day and never came back.
Look it up on the internet

For I'd say close to twentyfive years I've had a taste for a mix in the USA called Black and Tan . Typically this consists of half Guiness and half Bass here . Sometimes Murphy's might be substituted or Harp or whatever .

Anyway is a "Black and Tan" something thats drunk in Taverns or Pubs in the UK or is this just an American adaption ?

Black and tan Guinness and bitter ,Guinness and stout ,bitter and stout bitter and sweet stout ..

Absolutely nothing to do with an Irish up rising ,as close as it comes to ireland is the Guinness .

Black and tan does exist as a drink but it is not as common as it was in the 1970-80's most of our youngsters drink girly lager.
Its also known as Guiness over Bitter.
We have lots of different types of beers over here far too long to list at 12-30 in the morning

In the aftermath of WW1 the UK government formed an additional force to assist the police in Ireland which was issued with dark police jackets and brown (khaki) ex-army trousers, giving rise to the nickname "Black and Tans". This name was subsequently applied to any beer mixture of a dark beer (stout or porter) and pale beer (bitter/heavy/pale ale)

We have a kinda snooty place in Charlottesville Virginia called Court Square Tavern . Anyway they have something like 150-200 different imported bottled beers and maybe 20-30 imported on tap .

About 15 years ago a group of us would go there maybe once a week . Kind of a try them all thing !

I'd always order a pint of Guiness and what ever the new try was . If it tasted good to me then I'd drink it straight , if not I'd chase it with Guiness and try something else . Usually in the course of a night I'd get 6-10 new ones tried with maybe 3 or 4 pints of Guiness . Thankfully we'd always have a designated driver so no drunken mishaps !

I tried all the English , Irish and Scotish beers they had as well as most of the Belgian , South American , Aussie and Indian .

They had something from Brazil called "Xingu" that was pretty darned tastey as well as Aussie "Sheaf Stout" I believe that I also found quite good !

Guiness , Murphy's , Bass , Newcastle and the Sam Smith stuff were all pretty tastey to me I might add !

While here in the Philippines I've consumed a fair amount of San Miguel Light and a fair amount of Thai Singha and Cervesa Negra . The Cervesa Negra I find to be kind of similar to Guiness although not quite as heavy .

Last edited:
I remember in the 80's (vaguely as I did the 80's right) certain Irish pubs in London where it was still a bit of a dare to go in and order a Black and Tan.

I can't say I would want to mix good real English ale with anything for any other reason.

In the aftermath of WW1 the UK government formed an additional force to assist the police in Ireland which was issued with dark police jackets and brown (khaki) ex-army trousers, giving rise to the nickname "Black and Tans". This name was subsequently applied to any beer mixture of a dark beer (stout or porter) and pale beer (bitter/heavy/pale ale)
Correct in whole.

I actually think it is an English thing. I am 43 years old and lived everyday of it in Ireland. I have never in my life heard anyone ask for such a concoction in an Irish pub, and I have spent a fair bit of time in pubs...

Best stay away from the "Black and Tans" subject. The original "Black and Tans" were and are a pack of foxhounds of that colour scheme - the hunt is the "Scarteen" in County Limerick. The paramilitary police force were named after the hound pack as a result of them wearing a mixture of police and army uniforms.

Last edited:
Drank this as a youngun in the seventies any stout x bitter mix along with another favourite black velvet which for us was any stout x cider and after a skin full of that you'd fight anyone :rofl:.

You probably were fighting someone who was full of Snakebite!!:D

Snakebite:evil:

or as Young Farmers, we had diesel = half lager + bottle of white diamond cider + a dash of blackcurrant = mayhem!!!!!

Rugby club favourite was cheeky Vimto = half pint port + bottle of blue wkd!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy days!!!!!

You probably were fighting someone who was full of Snakebite!!:D

I thats another one , forgot that one mind been virtually teetotal for a good few years. Never heard of these cheeky vimto's and such till much more recently. You'd have probably got a clout for asking for one in the pubs we used to frequent.

I thats another one , forgot that one mind been virtually teetotal for a good few years. Never heard of these cheeky vimto's and such till much more recently. You'd have probably got a clout for asking for one in the pubs we used to frequent.

CV only mixed in club or bus!

In public, only ever TL [Tennants Lager] or red tin [Macewans export]

Neither of which , I ever touch now!!!!

Black and Tan typically relates to the Irish uprising. The English (then ruling) decided in their wisdom to recruit a whole load of murders, rapists and other detritus and ship them over to Ireland to put them down. My wife is of Irish line and one of her distant relatives lost all of her sons. 3 of them I think. All went out one day and never came back.
Look it up on the internet

Went out one day to shoot some policemen in the back? I suspect you need to read some history, rather from gleaning it from Hollywood and the Sinn Fein website. The 'English' did not 'rule' Ireland. The Black and Tans did not represent Britain's finest hour, but they were fighting a particularly unpleasant war, having just fought in an even more unpleasant world war.

think the claret dabbler is correct, keep away from the black and tan subject. i don,t think this is a place to discuss irish history.

Back