Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday's Muntie

Sunday's Muntie

I spent sunday stalking for CWD and whilst i had seen a few they were either on the hoof (me having nearly stepped on them in cover) or out in the middle of a flat field with a road as a backstop (not particularly safe). Nothing shootable so i decided to head back to the car for a quick bite and a drink at about 3pm and then headed out again to stalk into a highseat for the evening.

I reached the corner of a grassed field and noticed a muntjack in the far corner, it hadn't seen me and the wind was in my favour so i ducked into cover had a quick check with the binos to seen he was a buck with one antler. Got the rifle up on the sticks to see him jump through a fence. I waited around for a while but nothing else was moving so i continued into the highseat.

All was fine, quiet but looking promising until the farmer decided to drive round the field on his quad checking the bird scarers and bangers. Oh well, he didn't know where i was so not to worry. I decided to double back on myself and re-trace my footsteps from where i saw the muntie buck. I passed the field into a wood block and stalking quietly along and then suddenly stopped to see a muntie streight in front of me, about 40m. Rifle on sticks and bang. Dropped on the spot with a few kicks. Well chuffed. As i approached i could see he was indeed the same muntie i saw in the field earlier, one antler and a knobby stumpy thing on the other side. He had quite a good set of tusks though, sharp too!

Anyway here he is, a bit of a scrapper i recon...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0285.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	475.8 KB 
ID:	24951
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0287.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	24952
    Jim

Well done mate, a good one to cull.

Must catch up soon.....
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Good shooting shame about the farmer on his quad

regards
    craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami

Nice one what did you shoot with?

Quote Originally Posted by Munty_Hunter View Post
    Nice one what did you shoot with?
    6.5x55, does the job.

Yes Mark, we should!

Good result Jim

Nice one

ATB

Jon

Cheers guys, bit bigger than my first one.

Nice one, great little beasts I really look foward to starting on them every year with our guests and then I'm thoroughly p*****d off with them at the end, frustrating little buggers sometimes

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE DAVIES View Post
    Nice one, great little beasts I really look foward to starting on them every year with our guests and then I'm thoroughly p*****d off with them at the end, frustrating little buggers sometimes

Wayne
    I love stalking them, they are my favourite deer to stalk at the moment, I've only shot two (seen a good few more), I find them really challenging. Good fun, and the drag out is never too bad

Jim