Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Level 1 online training warning

Level 1 online training warning

Admin please feel free to move this if its not in the correct section and apologies if this has been mentioned already.

We have just completed another successful Level 1 course with an expected 100% pass rate. This morning, the day of the tests, a candidate approached me with some concerns - a number of questions from the DMQ training bank were concerning him, according to his online training service, a number of the questions we had gone through over the weekend and for which they had the answers were wrong according to the online service.

A good ten minutes went by whilst I assured the candidate that the answers he had from the online provider were absolute nonsense, it was only when our assessor, Peter Pursglove arrived who confirmed that they were wrong that he relaxed a little.

If you are going to use an online revision system please, please, please make sure it is from a reputable and reliable source such as Jelen or BDS. The approved providers of this course put a lot of time and effort into making sure the information you receive is correct. I am approved by BASC and use David Strettons manual and have been through the manual from front to back with David to ensure that the information is accurate and that we know the answers, I speak to both Peter and David regularly and make sure I keep up to speed but this nonsense really incenses me. For obvious reasons I cannot name the outfit on a public forum.
    This is not the first time this has happened with candidates on my courses with the same online service. Interestingly two of their questions with wrong answers came up on the papers today and three of the candidates used the service. Apparently DMQ are well aware of this situation.

Admin - PM incoming.

HME
    Last edited by JAYB; 19-02-2013 at 12:02. Reason: naming names having said he would not, playground again!
    Come and visit us for a Blaser or Mauser fitting, get the right rifle for your needs.

If the question answers given by an online service are wrong then an email to the provider would help them fix the situation as their services will still be on offer.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    If the question answers given by an online service are wrong then an email to the provider would help them fix the situation as their services will still be on offer.
    As a provider of courses I don't believe it is up to either the candidate or an approved provider to point out their shortcomings, unless DMQ wish to do so. They are making a financial gain by supplying misleading information. I am merely pointing out that if an online service is used, use a reputable one whose information comes from reputable sources.
    Come and visit us for a Blaser or Mauser fitting, get the right rifle for your needs.

I don't wish to be controversial but I believe part to the problem is that some candidates/learning techniques/training providers simply aim to learn the answers to the question rather than absorbing knowledge of the subject if that makes any sense.

If the book or Internet says that the answer to Q6 is B then that is what it must be even if it's obviously wrong?

Not a criticism, just a thought.

Glyn

I did the now defunct BDS online course, the self testing facility did random questions in batches of 10 and only gave you a score out of 10 so no hope of merely learning the answers, I never did find the answer to the enlarged kidney question in the BDS manual, I found that one elsewhere.atb Tim

lots like that....

HME just looks like an advert for you training well done.

6pointer

I suggest you read my original post and you would notice that I recommended the Jelen and BDS online service neither of which benefit me financially. I pay to advertise my courses. If you have something useful to add, feel free. I am trying to point out the shortcomings of a particular online service. In future perhaps I won't bother and let candidates be supplied with incorrect information.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    HME just looks like an advert for you training well done.
    thats not how I read it, looks more to me as a friendly warning to those who are looking for an online provider to make sure you choose one with a proven record that's all and certainly doesn't look like an advertising attempt to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    6pointer

I suggest you read my original post and you would notice that I recommended the Jelen and BDS online service neither of which benefit me financially. I pay to advertise my courses. If you have something useful to add, feel free. I am trying to point out the shortcomings of a particular online service. In future perhaps I won't bother and let candidates be supplied with incorrect information.

Well I for one would hate to see individuals not post warnings to those who maybe new to the stalking world and looking for courses don't let the few spoil it for the majority......