How many have seen one of these

I'll generally shoot them on sight. That includes day old fawns.
Any sensible deer manager wants a natural looking herd, not domesticated colour morphs.

Cheers Sharkey

So what is the "natural" colour of Fallow? Common, menil, melanistic?

P1010368_zps1791c78b.jpg

on the estate i used to stalk they had it written in the contract the the white fallow was not to be shot seen a few of them

So what is the "natural" colour of Fallow? Common, menil, melanistic?

Common is the true colour for both the species of Dama.
The regularity of colour variations are the result of selection by humans.

I find nothing worse than looking at a herd of fallow & seeing several colours, its a bit like looking at the colour varients in a herd of farmer Browns cows.
It really shows how domesticated fallow deer are.

Persians. Now these have a completly different attitude in their pure form to the Anatolian's . Common is the "only" colour as they haven't been domesticated to the same degree.
"Have you seen any of these?"008_zps2f9a6e38.jpg

There are no indigenious deer in aust, But we do have "Australian deer", sambar would qualify the most for this title.
Given their several sources of ancestory, selection by heavy hunting for 150 years, naturalisation into the environment (any ecological/environmental change has already occured in their range), many like to refer to our sambar as "Cervus unicolor australis" , its a thought which is gaining popularity.

Cheers Sharkey

Tasmania`s wild fallow herds have for what is basically forever had white deer among them. A big white fallow buck in Tassy is considered the pinnacle of the trophy heads/colours.I have hunted there for quite a few years and have only seen a couple of white in the field.

I see them everyday I am on the ground, and buff ones...always left to mark the herds,if I was a fallow I would vote these out!

Back