Thread: Best Scope

Best Scope

Hi All

I have a S&B PMii which has amazing glass/low light ability but is overkill for my stalking rifle,I would like some guidance/advice/opinions on what to get for stalking ie lightweight,compact with illuminated reticle,variable mag(not essential) and low light glass to match the PMii............whats your thoughts???

thanks

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Hi All

I have a S&B PMii which has amazing glass/low light ability but is overkill for my stalking rifle,I would like some guidance/advice/opinions on what to get for stalking ie lightweight,compact with illuminated reticle,variable mag(not essential) and low light glass to match the PMii............whats your thoughts???

thanks

Martin
    ive had vari mags for stalking before and always left them on 8x so ended up getting two 8x56 one s&b and one swarovski and I think they are perfect for my needs great for low light and nighttime use, I would go for the Swaro because of the excellent after sales guarantee, but you have much more choice in the 8x56 market with the s&b....

one of the lads on here has for sale what i would say is the perfect stalking scope, a zeiss 7x50 illuminated

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    ive had vari mags for stalking before and always left them on 8x so ended up getting two 8x56 one s&b and one swarovski and I think they are perfect for my needs great for low light and nighttime use, I would go for the Swaro because of the excellent after sales guarantee, but you have much more choice in the 8x56 market with the s&b....
    Have got a S&B 8x56 but it hasnt got the low light glass of the PMii.......thats why I asked the question,I bought it thinking it would be the answer but it isnt.....

Have got a S&B 8x56 but it hasnt got the low light glass of the PMii.......thats why I asked the question,I bought it thinking it would be the answer but it isnt.....
    I think you 'may' have been bitten by the marketing bug...

I have had S&B 8x56 fixed and more recently a PMII 5-25x56.. if anything the light transmission of the 8x56 is slightly better than the PMII as there are quite a few fewer glass elements to suck the light out of the image on it's way to your eye... coatings can only limit the loss to an extent... the best way to reduce loss in the longrun is to introduce fewer barriers...

The difference in cost is down to the engineering and precision of the turret system, prism housing... and.... all that extra glass in there!

A fixed mag scope will almost always give a comparatively brighter image at similar magnifications!

Quote Originally Posted by Vipa View Post
    I think you 'may' have been bitten by the marketing bug...

I have had S&B 8x56 fixed and more recently a PMII 5-25x56.. if anything the light transmission of the 8x56 is slightly better than the PMII as there are quite a few fewer glass elements to suck the light out of the image on it's way to your eye... coatings can only limit the loss to an extent... the best way to reduce loss in the longrun is to introduce fewer barriers...

The difference in cost is down to the engineering and precision of the turret system, prism housing... and.... all that extra glass in there!

A fixed mag scope will almost always give a comparatively brighter image at similar magnifications!

In that case there must be a problem with mine as it is no comparison to the PMii when tested next to each other.....thanks,I will look into getting it serviced/refurbed in that case...

In that case there must be a problem with mine as it is no comparison to the PMii when tested next to each other.....thanks,I will look into getting it serviced/refurbed in that case...
    Remember too that the key is 'similar magnifications' You don't say which PMII you have but if it is say a 5-25 then it will be brighter at 5 than a fixed 8 will be but tested at the same magnification the fixed should be brighter.. i doubt your eyes (or anyones) would be sensitive enough to make out much of a difference though.. when manufacturers start talking 90+% transmission rates, they are already way beyond what would be usefull to the average human eye!

Does anyone know if Mil spec scopes have infra red filters?
    On my Hensoldt D16 binos I had the filters removed and it made them way brighter.

edi