Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino Roe Buck In Scottish Borders

Albino Roe Buck In Scottish Borders

I was speaking to a coupe of mates who were out hunting at the weekend with a local hunt! On the first draw out came a big pure albino buck! after questions were asked about it, he has seemingly been there for at least five years and landowner and friends loves to watch him.

Nice to hear that there aint a bounty on his head and he is living a nice life in the borders!

PS No names and estate names provided

Please correct me if im wrong but i did not think you could get pure albino roe? I have seen some that are very white but still have a normal eyes, does it have red eyes?

Yes your right, great that its about in the area!
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

"southdowns_stalking" I don't know myself on that one! the conversation went down the lines of "pure albino buck" i don't know how close they were to it to confirm colour of eyes etc. One thing it did run right past all the hunt supporters who were exited to see it also.

I know someone on here that has got 3-4 on there ground but won't shoot them. Nice to see something different.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    "southdowns_stalking" I don't know myself on that one! the conversation went down the lines of "pure albino buck" i don't know how close they were to it to confirm colour of eyes etc. One thing it did run right past all the hunt supporters who were exited to see it also.
    Did not know if anyone had managed to get some photos as it had been around for so long, just interested, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate hunter View Post
    I know someone on here that has got 3-4 on there ground but won't shoot them. Nice to see something different.

Andy
    Are these a white colour form of roe or pure albino?
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Picture below of a Lake District white Roe doe, presumably an albino.
    Without seeing the eye colour this is only an assumption.

I breed Budgerigars and have a strain of albinos and one of yellow-faced albinos.
    In Budgies we also have a strain known as `dark-eyed clears`.

If an albino cock bird is mated with an ordinary blue hen all female chicks are white and all young males are blue but do have the albino genes lurking unseen within them. [ These we call `split albinos.]
    These cock birds will produce a percentage of albino hens ultimately. Hen birds cannot carry the albino gene in `split ` form.

If the same genetic rules applied to Deer all female offspring from a genuine albino male would be white irrespective of species.
    A complex and interesting thought.

HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 19-02-2013 at 10:28. Reason: spelling error

Nice pic was it taken any wear near Keswick as I'm up that way the end of march , we were up the last march and we saw 12 bucks& does cant wait cheers bazil

A girl at my work asked me about this white deer last night, she saw it at a hunt at the weekend must have been the same one!

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Picture below of a Lake District white Roe doe, presumably an albino.
    Without seeing the eye colour this is only an assumption.

I breed Budgerigars and have a strain of albinos and one of yellow-faced albinos.
    In Budgies we also have a strain known as `dark-eyed clears`.

If an albino cock bird is mated with an ordinary blue hen all female chicks are white and all young males are blue but do have the albino genes lurking unseen within them. [ These we call `split albinos.]
    These cock birds will produce a percentage of albino hens ultimately. Hen birds cannot carry the albino gene in `split ` form.

If the same genetic rules applied to Deer all female offspring from a genuine albino male would be white irrespective of species.
    A complex and interesting thought.

HWH.
    Would the colour of the nose on this one not suggest pure albino? There is also a pink tinge on the inside of the ears also suggesting this...

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Would the colour of the nose on this one not suggest pure albino? There is also a pink tinge on the inside of the ears also suggesting this...
    I would tend to agree.