Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is your Roe doe cull going?

How is your Roe doe cull going?

Just seeing how everyone has been getting on with their roe doe cull this year?

I have to admit I have been struggling and am down on nearly all of my management grounds. I know they are there because of trial cams etc. I don’t think the wet winter has helped at all, they have been moving about a lot and to dryer ground, but these are not always on my permissions, and only return once the fields and woods have dried out a bit.

I try very hard with my roe doe cull, I take a cross section percentage of old, does without any young and yearlings to keep the population in a healthy balance. Along with this I take into account body shape and size.

I know some on the neighbouring stalkers just see it as a chore, go out and shoot the first few they see and its job done. Others don’t even bother thinking it will increase the amount of good bucks in a few years’ time.
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

We are behind with ours due to weather etc.
    I dont like taking does once we get into mid febuary so was thinking of going up and taking out a few followers to make the numbers up.
    Not ideal but its been a difficult year to assess numbers due to some very heavy tree felling in neighbouring forests.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Well behind on our ground also - shot 2 roe kids on Friday night, one was 20Ib hill weight and the other 23Ib so well down on normal weights, hard weather on the high ground in S. Ayreshire seems to have hit them pretty hard this winter, will be interesting to see if our mature does produce twins or just singles...
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

Reasonably well on with mine, will need another week or so to complete it, like the previous poster I am finding kids are down in weight compared to normal years, also seeing quite a bit of fluke, and tape worm cysts.

Playing catch up this Weekend. I do not like Shooting Does in March but may have to.

Yorkie

I have also seen an increase in fluke, the ground is still so wet around here. I often get my management culls completed by the end of Feb at the lastest, but always end up culling them for other estates, land owners right to the end. I have a stong feeling that we will be seeing a lot of singles this year.
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Lots of folk having trouble this year with the doe cull. I always started early and tried to get it done (except for the odd one)before Christmas. The same with Sika hinds. Most of my buck cull would be complete by the end of May with just the odd old fellow to get in the rut. Seemed to work well for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Southdowns_stalking View Post
    I have also seen an increase in fluke, the ground is still so wet around here. I often get my management culls completed by the end of Feb at the lastest, but always end up culling them for other estates, land owners right to the end. I have a stong feeling that we will be seeing a lot of singles this year.
    On one piece of ground I have 15 does on the census and not one has twins - all singles or none. Numbers are down across the board so I have cut the cull, I have found one dead yearling buck too far gone to tell but I suspect liver fluke (this estate has a lot of sheep and the ground is very poor draining). All bar one of the does I have shot this season (in Lancs, Cumbria and Galloway) have been carrying fluke. It really is a worry.

I finished with my Does last night. I have a couple of female yearlings to go but they don't fall under my self imposed end of season at the end of Feb.

Every time I go out I keep getting side tracked by the Fallow. Got 3 today and no Roe

Been doing well all considered. been averaging 2-1 and been out twice a day thats quite alot of deer. Been busy going into ground i couldn't because of game shooting saw 14 tonight and had a miss. saw 7 this morning and no shots fired. so things going well. my cameras are recording most deer between 9 and 10 pm which dose not help.