Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski or Docter? Help please......

Swarovski or Docter? Help please......

Ok, so I'm torn, do I go for an old (old stock, but still new and under warranty) swarovski scope from mcleods it's the PVI 1.25-5x24 or the new unipoint 1-4x24 from Docter which I have managed to find for 50 less.......
    I'm torn because I know with mcleods that they are gents, and no messing, but optically, am I better getting new (reticle a on whichever focal plane it is that doesn't change with zoom, sorry cant remember....) or a slightly dated swarovski which I suspect does have this issue.....
    Also I can't find anything about docters warranty to give me confidence, anyone know what they offer?
    help please

Swarovski personally.

Had a Doctor scope and was good but always go back to Swarovski

Even if the cross hairs increase in size with the the magnification, they to still only cover the same area on the target relative to that magnification.

I would not be put off a Swarovski/Zeiss or S&B becasue it is a slightly older model. I have been reading a fair bit on the new Kahles scopes as well and they come in a bit cheaper and get good reviews. they may be another oprion in your budget

+1 with Jamross...

1st focal plane crosshairs change in size with zoom, 2nd they don't.. Don't be thinking that 2nd is new tech and 1st old... They are designed for 2 different things and 1st is 'practically' more flexible in a lot of circumstances. You can also accurately range find with 1st FP at any zoom where you can't with 2nd.

There is also a school of thought that as things get more modern the quality of the important bits falls away in place of 'technological advancements' my gen 2 z6i is not as good as my gen 1 for instance IMHO.. Yes, more compact, lighter etc.. But I don't think the optics are quite as good nor is the illumination.... But it does switch off when you lay the rifle down! Whoop de do! Lol

Older is quite often better!
    Last edited by Vipa; 19-02-2013 at 10:39.

Those were my thoughts entirely, I just wanted to be sure and check on others opinions, also, i like the service Macleods give, you get a real, knowledgable person to deal with rather than faceless internet. there was also some doubt about aftersales care with Docter, not so with swaro.
    on that basis, I ordered the Swarovski which I am told will be with me by tomorrow.
    Happy days!

I suspect what you may find with the Swaro is that e.g. the reticle is an "old model" and no longer offered.

I bought a 1.7-10x42 Z6 from Gregor last year and he explained that that was the only difference - it had a BR something reticle, rather than the plain No 4 I would prefer.

Having been an economic refugee since then I cannot comment on how useful or otherwise this "obsolete" equipment is - but come the autumn...........

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    I suspect what you may find with the Swaro is that e.g. the reticle is an "old model" and no longer offered.

I bought a 1.7-10x42 Z6 from Gregor last year and he explained that that was the only difference - it had a BR something reticle, rather than the plain No 4 I would prefer.

Having been an economic refugee since then I cannot comment on how useful or otherwise this "obsolete" equipment is - but come the autumn...........
    Yeah, the one comment I would make is that the reticle is very fine, and not one you seem to be able to get now, but, this is only so when on low mag and when on 4x it's absolutely spot on, and, this was explained to me by Gregor before I purchased it so my eyes were wide open before buying,
    Now I've just got to settle on which mounts to go for......

A bit late to post now you have committed but Docter have a 30 year warranty, RUAG have taken on UK distribution. I would be very happy with either of the two scopes you were pondering. Docter IIRC were the first maunfacturer to offer a true 1x bottom end mag, ideal for running boar and big game.

Stable doors and bolting, but cheers anyway, if anyone is after one at half rrp, have a look on fleabay, optics warehouse have 3'on there currently......i think I'm right in saying that swarovski now do a 10 year warranty? But the warranty card I've got for this scope clearly states 30 as well, so I'm happy whatever way.....also they have unrivalled customer serviced from what I have read....