Thread: Albino's

Albino's

Following on from Von's thread located here (not wanting to hijack it! )

What are your thought's on having albino's ?

Over here in Norway there were some albino moose in one terrian that were taken out by the land owners/hunters as the albino genetics were seen as a negative, though I'm pretty sure the hunters saw it as an interesting trophy, where'as I know in Sweden there are populations which are encouraged!

People are very quick to remove bucks with poor antlers to encourage stronger genetics being passed forward but what about albino's, from what I have read Albinism is associated with a number of defects?

Now I don't want to start a slagging match, what people do on their own land is their business and I'm not taking sides, I'm just interested to hear what the 'general population' here on SD think!
    Last edited by Jonher; 19-02-2013 at 10:20.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

If it was me I would shoot them as per normal cull animals, however albinos seem to envoke a lot of media coverage and negative reactions when removed. There is also the arguement that they are more easily poached.

I would have thought that being white in Scandanavia during the winter would have distinct advantages? If it is a natural occurrence, then why should we try to erradicate it?
    However, if such animals would be 'removed' by nature, then we should also try to replicate that.
    MS

I should have made this thread a 'poll' with the vote options: keep them, cull them & not sure - would have been a lot easier to see the results but don't think I can do that now!
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

As an animal with a mutant gene as per other defects I would look at culling it. My thoughts my opinion

Not albino buy white fallow don't half betray their mates, I'd always leave them for this reason. As for poaching, a deer's eyes show up just the same in a lamp of its white or not.

I personally choose, not to shoot white Fallow . The reason is that there are plenty of black , menil deer to shoot and i always enjoy seeing the white Fallow .

Chill

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I personally choose, not to shoot white Fallow . The reason is that there are plenty of black , menil deer to shoot and i always enjoy seeing the white Fallow .

Chill
    White fallow are fairly common and are not necessarily albino. The question related to albino deer.
    MS

Have seen a number of white and partially white red deer but these were not albinos, a true albino has red eyes, have never particularly tried to take out a deer because it was partially white, it would need to feature in the cull plan for some other reason.

However though I have never encountered a truly albino deer if I did it would feature in my cull plan as rightly or wrongly I too would look on it as a negative gene.