Thread: .260/barrel lenth ?

.260/barrel lenth ?

HI '

Just looking into a .260 Rem, been looking at a steyr, but only offer this calibre in the 'mountain' format not the prohunter '2' series.
    The mountain is a 20'' tube, are there any issues with this calibre with this lenth tube? like in the .243 offering where-as sometimes it's prown not to make deer legal requirments with lighter bullets due to the shorter barrel lenth?

thanks

Stevie
    I am surprised at that, but I could be behind the times. Have you talked to the Sportsman Gun Centre re Pro-Hunter series 2 in 260 Rem? That's where I bought mine and where I traded it in again.
    Regards
    JCS

Stevie, 20" is fine on a 260, it does much better with a short tube than a 243. You will have no issues on minimum energy, 120gr bullet at 2850 FPS or thereabouts will cover most requirements.

Mine will do 3300 FPS with a 100gr NBT, most 243 struggle to get near 3000FPS with a 100gr bullet, and certainly will not do it with a 20" barrel.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

cheers guys, thanks for the imput, I do prefere the shorter tube as even with a mod fitted it's still leasy to woodland stalk, As a short 243 with heavy bullet is still pushing the enevelope, and up to now the 260 is ticking all the right boxs, I will be reloading so can load down for light stuff and load up for the bigger things, seems much more adaptable as a calibre?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    ...and up to now the 260 is ticking all the right boxs, I will be reloading so can load down for light stuff and load up for the bigger things, seems much more adaptable as a calibre?..
    I like the 260 Rem, I got my first one in '99 - a Ruger MK II, I then got a Mannlicher Pro-Hunter MKII and I now have the rifle in my Gallery. One thing to keep in mind is OAL. The Mannlicher Pro-Hunter had a nice long magazine and I had no trouble loading rounds 2.995 inches long. However, out of the box Remingtons and Sakos will have a ~2.8 inch limit on magazine length. I favour heavier bullets and shoot Hornady 129 gr SP for stalking, 140 A-Max on the range and 142 SMKs for practice. If you want some Remington brass to make up some dummy rounds, let me know. Good luck. JCS

Established Poster
    20" is fine and will work well, however since my rifles are also for the range I tend to go 24"-26"+ to get the most out of the cartridge.

With a shorter barrel, I would suggest going for suitable powders that are on the faster side (if reloading) to reduce the blinding muzzle flash at dawn/dusk.