Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One rifle or several

One rifle or several

Hi gents just wanted an opinion on something I've just returned to the uk and an in the process of getting my fac back, in the past I've had several calibres ( .303, 6.5 x 55, 233, 30 06 etc ) but I'm thinking of applying for one calibre to cover me for foxes boar and deer ( I'll have a .22 for rabbits as well) I'mThinking of a 7mm 08 my real question is do younthinknswapping and changing between guns makes us poorer shots as we never truly get the feel for any one rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Hi gents just wanted an opinion on something I've just returned to the uk and an in the process of getting my fac back, in the past I've had several calibres ( .303, 6.5 x 55, 233, 30 06 etc ) but I'm thinking of applying for one calibre to cover me for foxes boar and deer ( I'll have a .22 for rabbits as well) I'mThinking of a 7mm 08 my real question is do younthinknswapping and changing between guns makes us poorer shots as we never truly get the feel for any one rifle?
    It hasn't been my experience.~Muir

You can only shoot one rifle at a time so why have more?

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    You might want to take that up with Muir!

so you are prepared for when the zombies come (read: "devolved Scottish Parliament"!)

I have different ones as they do different things in different places
    granted a .270 will dispatch a fox but the people living round the golf course I shoot on may get upset!

my personal opinion is that people have far too many rifles,Iam a great believer in that the less you swop and change the better you become with one item,for this reason I only own 3 rifles
    1.rimmy (evetyone should own one)
    2.foxing rifle
    3.deer/boar/afrian plains game

both number 1 and 2 rifle are identical even down to trigger pull only difference is caliber and scope type.by only having 2 working rifles I can put the best glass on top and be perfectly happy to know how they both perform perfectly.

The only limit on the number of rifles IMO should be what you can sensibly afford. atb Tim

Or have a few superb rifles rather than many average?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Do you eat the same thing for breakfast every day? ~Muir

I only have the 6.5x55, but am as good as I'll ever be with it and that's all the comfort that I need when anything that I want to shoot in the UK is in the crosshairs...

Cheers
    i.
    PS bk - I'm having trouble concentrating when I post after you...!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)