7 x 64 (brenneke)

timbrayford

What are the merits of this calibre? Is it a better choice than .308 & 30-06, particularly with Boar & Stags in mind. Comments from those of you who have used one would be much appreciated. atb Tim :D

Hi Timbrayford!
I have used the 7x64 and its rimmed version 7x65R for 30 years now. With light bullets, you have a flat shooting round for long shots on roe deer and the heavier ones are enough for larger species ( if you use a proper bullet). The heaviest fabric load with TIG bullet has similar ballistics as the 7mm Remington. Recoil is not hard. Except the RWS KS, most animals were immidiately dead on the place with not too much meat damage. My favourite load was 180grs nosler partition in 7x64 and I still use it in my 7x65R! Even bigger wild boar don't run more than 10 meters with proper shot placement. I know that the Brenneke cartridges are not common in the UK, but here in Germany it is still one of the most favourite. If one is looking for a good allrounder, the 7x64 won't dissapoint! The only advantage of .308 or .30/06 would be that ammo is cheaper and more availble in your country.
Waidmannsheil
Andreas

Low recoil and very accurate, it is only 200fps behind the 7mm rem mag, and also being 7mm it benefits from the wide selection of bullet weights and the modern bullets such as berger vlds. They usually have a 8-9 twist so can stabilise bullets upto 180 grns, I am confident in mine out to 600 metres and can usally hit a 14" gong at 850 metres (sometimes). Commercially loaded bullets found throughout europe, russia, africa, south america and aus/nz, not so common in the UK but most gunshops can get them in.

I bought mine for mainly for chamois hunting and other mountain species.

Thanks for the advice, it is good to know that it is so useful, as I reload I am not too concerned about ammunition supplies provided that I could get hold of some cases to start with, but purchase of a rifle in this calibre is still a little way off. atb Tim

Thanks for the advice, it is good to know that it is so useful, as I reload I am not too concerned about ammunition supplies provided that I could get hold of some cases to start with, but purchase of a rifle in this calibre is still a little way off. atb Tim

I like it along with the 7x65r. Probably no ral world difference in effect on game between them and 30-06, but may be a bit flatter shooting, for similar weight bullets. Ammo is available in the UK, and you can always get cases from European sources - Franconia.

From an historical perspective the 7x64 is the nearest European equivalent to the 30-06 and is, in performance terms, similar to the later 270 Winchester and 280 Remington. So if there are circumstances where in performance terms 270 or 280 would be a better choice than 308 Winchester (pretty much ALL THE TIME) and 30-06 (on a FEW occasions) then so would 7x64.

But...

Does it stand equal to the other great continental cartridge the 8x57S or its post-1919 version the 8x60 then no, 7x64 is not even equal to either 8x57S or 8x60S as in continental loadings the 8x57S and 8x60S are superior to the 30-06.

Well, I put my money and effort where my mouth is and bought one. Review to follow shortly...

ATB,

Scrummy

I bought Mauser M03 chambered in 7x64 cal as my first deer stalking rifle, i am extremely happy with its performance i have shot deer 220 yard it is flat and accurate, it is flatter then 308.

Be true be your self

Back