Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pigeon on rape

pigeon on rape

This season has to be the poorest I have had shooting pigeon on rape. one shot and the pigeons are never to be seen again
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

I went out for a full day last week, and came home with a total of 3, but just assumed that this was because I'm a bit sh!t at shooting pigeons.

It's not just you, I gave up pigeon shooting last year after several hundred wasted hours sat in a hide, and for what?... A lousy bag of 5 or 6 birds. It's not like you can just nip out with a shotgun either, there's so much gear to carry and set up. Hide, nets, poles, decoys, flappers, seat, cartridges, gun, flask of coffee, something to read during the hours of just sitting there watching the sky.

It's not for me
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

have to admit I've ditched the pigeons for few years now as well, rather a cold beer in the afternoon, lunch, and an evening stalk for roe!

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    It's not just you, I gave up pigeon shooting last year after several hundred wasted hours sat in a hide, and for what?... A lousy bag of 5 or 6 birds. It's not like you can just nip out with a shotgun either, there's so much gear to carry and set up. Hide, nets, poles, decoys, flappers, seat, cartridges, gun, flask of coffee, something to read during the hours of just sitting there watching the sky.

It's not for me
    If you like pigeon decoying, you'll LOVE wildfowling! Same sort of thing but in horrendous conditions at hours of which most of humanity is ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    If you like pigeon decoying, you'll LOVE wildfowling! Same sort of thing but in horrendous conditions at hours of which most of humanity is ignorant.
    It IS magic though!

Too many folks doing it now. The pigeons have got wise! Good fun when it does go right though.

A farmer I was talking to lately has developed a new sport of shooting them down with the scaring rockets. Now that sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post

It's not for me
    Went out last friday, set up before daycrack on a smallish ( 20 acre ) rape field I`d been watching for a week or so, I used 6 dead birds to start with as decoys and just kept putting them out as I shot them untill I had about 30 out. I packed in at 11.30 ran out of cartridges 200 shots for 163 pigeons

Woody`s aren`t daft, unlike a lot of people who try to shoot them ( not directed at anybody inparticular ) , same as anything else you have to put quite a bit of time in doing your homework for flightlines, feeding times, wind etc.etc.etc. don`t expect to see a field of rape and expect pigeons to use it, then set up and expect to bag up

My mate went back to the same field ( opposite side ) yesterday and shot over 100

Bob

I can sit in a high seat for hours on end and not see a carrot but for the life of me can't spend more than hour in a hide for pigeon perhaps it's a shotgun thing .cropping is going into beans soon maybe that may change my mind and I may give it a try again with some of the beaters .
    norma