Thread: Mil-dot how does it work?

Mil-dot how does it work?

Can anybody explain the principle of the Mil-dot reticle. I supppose that for every dot you go a certain amount of cm higher at 100m , half as much at 200m etc...
    Or is there a website on which it's explained in a simple way?

Mildot designed for rangefinding 1 mil is 1m at 1000m simple equation to find distance (target height or width x 1000 divide by mils covered = range

Can be used as ballistic reticule sometimes caled poor mans horse all you need to do is work out your drop either on a ballistic solver or by real time data gathering and you can apply holdover using the mils. Also depending what focal plane the reticle is in you can use magnification to manipulate different range settings on the mils effectively turning it into a custom ballistic reticle. Has its pitfalls though if you zero main crosshair at 100 or 200 you don't have much elevation however you can use top post as zero extending the holdover value also allowing for wind usually ends up with the shooter aiming at air, again not good for precision

This all made sense when I wrote it not sure now

There are some excellent bits of film on 'Youtube' explaining how this works - well worth a search
    Ed

What I think is a great bonus of mildot, (maybe not for stalking) is if one fires at an object at unknown distance
    and measures how many mildots or fractions thereof your impact was away from the target one can dial that figure into
    the scope with a high chance of a second round hit. This works at any scope magnification, any distance with a FFP scope.
    Preferably cm/100m clicks. Between each mildot 10 clicks.
    edi

Google mildot master , it's a great bit of kit that doesn't need batteries and comes with a comprehensive manual

i always have it in my pocket in case my rangefinder has a turn ?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    Google mildot master , it's a great bit of kit that doesn't need batteries and comes with a comprehensive manual

i always have it in my pocket in case my rangefinder has a turn ?

Create your own using the species you shoot. Go for the average height X 1000/ number of mil dots=range. Keep it on your phone, after all everyone always carries a phone.��

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Create your own using the species you shoot. Go for the average height X 1000/ number of mil dots=range. Keep it on your phone, after all everyone always carries a phone.��
    The original poster wanted to know about the mildot reticule and the mildot master is a good way to do that ?

as yet my electronics have never let me down but it's always there as a back up ?

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    The original poster wanted to know about the mildot reticule and the mildot master is a good way to do that ?

as yet my electronics have never let me down but it's always there as a back up ?
    they are expensive though!

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    they are expensive though!
    What , mildot masters ? I think I paid 20quid ?