Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended book

Recommended book

Jimm corbetts India a great book and obviously about shooting
    interesting and a true story worth a look if your into reading

I collect old sporting books, it is one of my passions. I have struck lucky lately with several good purchases including one of Teddy Rosevelts books African Game trails, first edition for the sum of 37.00.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Just re-read Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark a classic on African Hunting also by the same hunter The Old Man and the boy regarding his early days hunting Quail, Ducks and Deer hard to get buy well worth it.

'The Art of Deer Stalking' by William Scrope is a very entertaining read.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryC View Post
    Just re-read Horn of the Hunter by Robert Ruark a classic on African Hunting also by the same hunter The Old Man and the boy regarding his early days hunting Quail, Ducks and Deer hard to get buy well worth it.
    I have Horn of the Hunter somewhere and have just finished "The Honey Badger" which is clearly in most respects autobiogrphical.

I also have "Uhuru" which my wife found in a small shop in Nairobi - which is odd because he was PI'ed from Kenya for writing this - they obviously don't burn books in Kenya.

I am currently keeping "Something of Value" for my forthcoming trip to Nam - ambiance ye know.

Personally I think he writes better than Ernest - and I have also not long finished "True at First Light" by the man.

Personally the hunting book that's responsible for my problem is Pierre Bear by Patricia Scarry, illustrated by the not-yet-famous Richard Scarry:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Li...vip=true&rt=nc

"In a windswept cabin in the Great North lived brave Pierre Bear...."

Attachment 25017
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 20-02-2013 at 10:54.

Corbett is the absolute best, bar none. I'm suprised no one's mentioned The Man-eaters of Tsavo by John Henry Patterson. If you want the absolute greatest book on hunting white-tails in Texas, buy the book by John Wooters(recently deceased). Although geared to W-Ts you won't be disapointed. If anyone has/does, please give me your reviews. capt david

Quote Originally Posted by joe.222 View Post
    +1 Jim Corbett .

Quote Originally Posted by joe.222 View Post
    Just looked on Flea-bay (Jim Corbett) Omnibus books 1+2 going for 23.Free post. For that you get ,
    1 Maneaters of Kumaon.
    2 Temple tiger and more maneaters of Kumaon.
    3 The maneating leopard of rudraprayag.
    4 My India.
    5 Jungle lore.
    6 Tree tops.
    Very good reading and a testament to his bravery in stalking maneaters often on foot and wounded. Hunter who often became the hunted but managed to stalk 33 maneaters over 30 years taking his last maneater at the age of 65.

There is no doubt that reading Corbett, BB, Patterson, Bell etc as a child put me on the path that I am on today. Having said that, I'm not sure if I should thank them or blame them!