Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: world record roe buck

world record roe buck

i went down to get a roe head measured today and i was chatting (as you do) to the chap and he pulled out a cast of the world record roe buck head has anyone ever seen it in the flesh that thing must have had a neck ache i think he said it scored 277 cic points. It almost seems a shame that the best roe buck in the world was killed but who am i to judge. if anyone could post a link to a pic of it that would be great forr anyone who hasnt seen it

Re: world record roe buck

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot
    i went down to get a roe head measured today and i was chatting (as you do) to the chap and he pulled out a cast of the world record roe buck head has anyone ever seen it in the flesh that thing must have had a neck ache i think he said it scored 277 cic points. It almost seems a shame that the best roe buck in the world was killed but who am i to judge. if anyone could post a link to a pic of it that would be great forr anyone who hasnt seen it
    It was shot in Dorset in 2006 but rejected by the CIC as being too Bailliesque as was another Hants. head scoring 289.3 in 2007.

now im gonna sound a bit dippy but what does Bailliesque mean? us wiltshire folk are a simple breed and only use words with 2 silly-bulls or less

i have seen the cast myself when getting a head measured and the size is impressive but not what i would call a pretty head

If you want to see a nice Baillie head have a look at the photos of the gold medal heads in the 'new UK Red' thread

I am no expert on any form of deer head never mind roe but I understand that a Baillie head shows abnormal thickening of the skull. From what I saw of the roe head on display at the CLA it seemed to show abnormal thickening of the skull. So why is it not a Baillie?

Living in Dorset with more than a couple of good taxidermists locally i am still struggling and finding it quite dificult to appreciate the many attributes that make a record head..

It was a great experience to see Paul Taylors work as he patiently showed me round his workshop yet i still feel out on a limb when skull thickening and abnormalities regarding a trophy are concerned..

Nowt like experience

sir-lamp-alot, I cast my mind back to the 70's and will recount the Baillie head event as i remember it.

Peter Baillie was something high up in the BDS at the time. He was out stalking ,sitting in a high seat when he saw movement in the bottom of a ditch. He saw it was a buck but not how big the antlers were. The first shot he takes misses the buck but he manages toget it with the second shot. When he gets up to the buck there is the bigest buck he has ever seen.
    The shooting press at the time had articles about a new record head but when it was judged it was judged to be a mallform due to the massive thckness of the skull.

I remember the aritcle in the BDS ,Deer magazine when Baillie describes the stalk. He had shot a buck that he had not seen the quality of and a few articles before there had been an article on indentifcation and saveing the good heads.
    He should have sent the internal organs away to see what was the cause of the massive head were but he had eaten the liver for breakfast.

This is only as i remember it. It was a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare
    sir-lamp-alot, I cast my mind back to the 70's and will recount the Baillie head event as i remember it.

Peter Baillie was something high up in the BDS at the time. He was out stalking ,sitting in a high seat when he saw movement in the bottom of a ditch. He saw it was a buck but not how big the antlers were. The first shot he takes misses the buck but he manages toget it with the second shot. When he gets up to the buck there is the bigest buck he has ever seen.
    The shooting press at the time had articles about a new record head but when it was judged it was judged to be a mallform due to the massive thckness of the skull.

I remember the aritcle in the BDS ,Deer magazine when Baillie describes the stalk. He had shot a buck that he had not seen the quality of and a few articles before there had been an article on indentifcation and saveing the good heads.
    He should have sent the internal organs away to see what was the cause of the massive head were but he had eaten the liver for breakfast.

This is only as i remember it. It was a long time ago
    I'm not sure but I think that over large coronets are also a feature.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    This is an interesting article on (a) the British record roe, and (b) the Baillie Monsters

http://www.klaksholm.dk/files/Verdensrekord_i_buk.pdf

Many thanks to the danish website that posted this pdf originally

willie_gunn

thanks chaps my eyes have been opened