world record roe buck

sir-lamp-alot

i went down to get a roe head measured today and i was chatting (as you do) to the chap and he pulled out a cast of the world record roe buck head :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: has anyone ever seen it in the flesh that thing must have had a neck ache i think he said it scored 277 cic points. It almost seems a shame that the best roe buck in the world was killed but who am i to judge. if anyone could post a link to a pic of it that would be great forr anyone who hasnt seen it

sir-lamp-alot said:
i went down to get a roe head measured today and i was chatting (as you do) to the chap and he pulled out a cast of the world record roe buck head :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: has anyone ever seen it in the flesh that thing must have had a neck ache i think he said it scored 277 cic points. It almost seems a shame that the best roe buck in the world was killed but who am i to judge. if anyone could post a link to a pic of it that would be great forr anyone who hasnt seen it

It was shot in Dorset in 2006 but rejected by the CIC as being too Bailliesque as was another Hants. head scoring 289.3 in 2007.

now im gonna sound a bit dippy but what does Bailliesque mean? us wiltshire folk are a simple breed and only use words with 2 silly-bulls or less

i have seen the cast myself when getting a head measured and the size is impressive but not what i would call a pretty head

If you want to see a nice Baillie head have a look at the photos of the gold medal heads in the 'new UK Red' thread :D

I am no expert on any form of deer head never mind roe but I understand that a Baillie head shows abnormal thickening of the skull. From what I saw of the roe head on display at the CLA it seemed to show abnormal thickening of the skull. So why is it not a Baillie?

Living in Dorset with more than a couple of good taxidermists locally i am still struggling and finding it quite dificult to appreciate the many attributes that make a record head..

It was a great experience to see Paul Taylors work as he patiently showed me round his workshop yet i still feel out on a limb when skull thickening and abnormalities regarding a trophy are concerned..

Nowt like experience

sir-lamp-alot, I cast my mind back to the 70's and will recount the Baillie head event as i remember it.

Peter Baillie was something high up in the BDS at the time. He was out stalking ,sitting in a high seat when he saw movement in the bottom of a ditch. He saw it was a buck but not how big the antlers were. The first shot he takes misses the buck but he manages toget it with the second shot. When he gets up to the buck there is the bigest buck he has ever seen.
The shooting press at the time had articles about a new record head but when it was judged it was judged to be a mallform due to the massive thckness of the skull.

I remember the aritcle in the BDS ,Deer magazine when Baillie describes the stalk. He had shot a buck that he had not seen the quality of and a few articles before there had been an article on indentifcation and saveing the good heads.
He should have sent the internal organs away to see what was the cause of the massive head were but he had eaten the liver for breakfast.

This is only as i remember it. It was a long time ago :)

Jagare said:
sir-lamp-alot, I cast my mind back to the 70's and will recount the Baillie head event as i remember it.

Peter Baillie was something high up in the BDS at the time. He was out stalking ,sitting in a high seat when he saw movement in the bottom of a ditch. He saw it was a buck but not how big the antlers were. The first shot he takes misses the buck but he manages toget it with the second shot. When he gets up to the buck there is the bigest buck he has ever seen.
The shooting press at the time had articles about a new record head but when it was judged it was judged to be a mallform due to the massive thckness of the skull.

I remember the aritcle in the BDS ,Deer magazine when Baillie describes the stalk. He had shot a buck that he had not seen the quality of and a few articles before there had been an article on indentifcation and saveing the good heads.
He should have sent the internal organs away to see what was the cause of the massive head were but he had eaten the liver for breakfast.

This is only as i remember it. It was a long time ago :)

I'm not sure but I think that over large coronets are also a feature.

willie_gunn said:
This is an interesting article on (a) the British record roe, and (b) the Baillie Monsters

http://www.klaksholm.dk/files/Verdensrekord_i_buk.pdf

Many thanks to the danish website that posted this pdf originally :D

willie_gunn

Very interesting, I remember seeing that article.

Just to repeat my previous point, despite what it says in the article and the CIC score sheet, the CIC subsequently and somewhat controversially rejected the Troutman head as a record, I think in 2008.

I believe that Marco Pierre White's huge 32cm long head is still the UK No.1 and has not been rejected by CIC.

Big Heads

Gents

I'll tell you a real funny story about a very very large Roe head & those chaps that are down next week can verify this with the locals in the pub!

I am sure it must be 3 years ago now I had a call from the owner of Broadlands lake to say that there was a massive Roebuck (best he had ever seen) that kept walking under the M27 underpass everymorning from the main broadlands estate & was I interested in comming to wait for it one morning to try my luck?

He did not want any money from me to be there but said if it was a gold(which he was sure that it was), then he wanted £400 for the trophy!

Now at that time when I was still chasing medals I had already had a few biguns & the thought of parting with £400 was too much so I declined his offer!

I saw that head when it was measured at the Game Fair at Broadlands that year & it was taken my Marko Pierre White about a week after the guy called me not far from the Broadlands estate side of the underpass!

I think it was 1100 grams or somthing like that & was or still is the british recoard!

Hey Ho-we live & Learn!

Regs Lee

im gutted now i hate marco even tho i have never meet the bloke i thought it was a funny as you like that he had lost the roe buck record so quickly.

UK Record Roe

Lee I know exactly where Marco's Buck was shot as I was the one who told him where to find it after it had been seen by a friend several times in a field and actually was speaking to him on the phone when he saw it and shot it and it wasn't by Broadlands lake but about 3 miles away so you should take up the offer and have a look for the other one.
As far as people being happy when they thought he lost the record a short time later I find that a strange attitude especially as you dont know the guy, he may not be every ones cup of tea but that should have no impact upon wether he deserves the record or not.
I have also seen the more recent Tom Troubridge head which is enormous but in my limited experiance there is no way you could compare it with normal Bucks and I think it was rightly placed as a malform but there again I'm not a CIC judge.
Personally I think the stalk and experiance comes first and if you shoot a big animal good for you, though I shoot between 40-50 Bucks with clients a year I have not shot more than 5 Bucks in the last 7 years I cant afford them and prefer the doe culling.

Regards Terry

the reason i dont like marco is they way he portrayed shooting in a seiries he just run on the telly (the name of which iludes me sorry). he just to me summed up the complete toff which the public belives the averrage shooting man or woman to be and you and i know to be differnt. but my major bug bear with him was his lack of respect for gun law and feneral gun saftey, he was on the telly in a pub drinking whilst handeling a firearm amoung other things, the bloke just got my back up. i dont claim to be a master stalker or ambassador of shooting but if i was given the oppertunity to show millions of people the true side of shooting i would have taken my role a lot seriously than what he did and deffinatley would have shown my quarry more respect than what he did
im sorry if marco is a friend or in some way conected to you but its just the way i feel towards him and is no way conected to anyone else

It doesn't matter what you think of them, everyone is entitled to their opinion but the more we see celebrity chefs like Marco, Gordon Ramsey, Nick Nairn and Mike Robinson actually showing where food comes from and even shooting or catching it themselves the better chance we have of educating the public at large.

Big Bucks

Terry

Marko's big buck was shot at Ridge, which as the crow flys is under a mile from that moterway underpass & as it was taken in April I would consider that most Roebucks would still be traveling about a bit trying to re establish their ground, so a distance of 1 mile or even more is no great feat.

I never saw it on the Broadlands Lake side but quite a few people did & as do I know that area very whell & at that time I was still stalking on the other side of the estate from the main Romsey Road & Marko had the remainder.

Having already taken a gold & silver from that ground before the end of April I passed up the chance of another due to the cost (my loss I know)

All I can be sure of is that after Marko's deer was taken the large buck was never seen again from under the moterway underpass.

For this reason I considered that I had the oppertunity of trying for it & passed it up.

I have met Marko once since & to be honest found him a pretty nice chap, neither of us stalk on Broadlands these days as there are new tennants, but I am sure that this area will continue to produce massive heads in the future as I now have another block within a mile of that area & once again there are two seperate massive Roebucks that we are just leaving alone to go about their business & give us a better strain comming through in a few years.

Regs Lee

Just after Marko left i was fortunate to go up to Broadlands and had the pleasure to meet a few other guys off this site..

I saw some amazing Bucks on the estate and if i can find the pictures will post them up

Terry

Back