Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Camera?

What Camera?

I am thinking about getting a decent camera to take out with me because I'm starting to hate it when I see something and all I've got is my mobile to take a picture with!

Any suggestions what would be a good buy for quality pictures and with a suitable zoom for stalking distances, preferably nothing overly complicated and without a 3' long lens!

Cheers

I've used a Canon G11 for a few years, absolutely brilliant, especially if, like me you are no expert.

The Panasonic lumix range are very good if you go to the mid range of their products, great optical zoom and very compact to take stalking with you.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    I've used a Canon G11 for a few years, absolutely brilliant, especially if, like me you are no expert.
    +1
    Bought a Canon G12 last year as I was fed up taking a bulky DSLR fishing. The picture quality is honestly not far off at all (see pics in my gallery) - I love it that much I am toying with the idea of selling my DSLR kit.
    Not that small however - too bulky for a trouser pocket, but fits in a jacket pocket no probs. The G12 also does HD video. Canon do a more compact version called the S100 (I think!)

Quote Originally Posted by otisthedog View Post
    +1
    Bought a Canon G12 last year as I was fed up taking a bulky DSLR fishing. The picture quality is honestly not far off at all (see pics in my gallery) - I love it that much I am toying with the idea of selling my DSLR kit.
    Not that small however - too bulky for a trouser pocket, but fits in a jacket pocket no probs. The G12 also does HD video. Canon do a more compact version called the S100 (I think!)
    Is the x5 zoom enough?

PB I had the Lumix a great wee camera that had an optical 10x zoom i took some good pictures with it. I have now moved on to a Nikon with a 42 x optical zoom. zoom not as small but still fits in my coat pocket.

I was 100 mtr from this Girl

Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    +1.....wife got me one two years ago. Takes great photos and and not too fiddly..

Quote Originally Posted by PointBlank View Post
    Is the x5 zoom enough?
    Fair point, should have read your first post more thoroughly - sorry.
    One of the reasons I bought it is that it shoots in RAW format (a lot more leeway when it comes to editing) and the crops I have done so far are superb, very sharp. I know it doesn't have the zoom, but for me the quality was most important and it's as close to DSLR as I've seen from a mid-price compact.

We just bought a Sony Nex 5R for work stuff, and it is a cracking camera, with a full size sensor, and is packed with features.