Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ruger M77 Bolt problem. How to "unsnap"?

  1. #1

    Question Ruger M77 Bolt problem. How to "unsnap"?

    Last night cleaning the rifle I picked up the bolt and as I did so it fired so that the firing pin is now permanently extended.
    This shows the firing pin extended:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2492.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	25014
    These two a rear views:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2493.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	25015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2494.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	25016

    I saw this: bolt problem but it doesn't cut the mustard with my bolt.

    I hope the pics show enough detail to explain my problem.

    I cannot push the bolt home to re-cock it since the machined block hits the stock when about half way in.

    I don't want to apply excessive force and break it but there must be a way of re-cocking it?

    Do I now need a special tool?

    Have I trashed it somehow?

  2. #2
    You don't need the rifle to fix this issue, just the bolt.

    Just turn the bolt shroud back to where it should be. It takes a bit of force. I generally wrap a rag round the bolt shroud. If you have a vice with soft jaws, you could put the bolt in a vice and then use both hands to turn the bolt shroud back. It's a bit alarming the first time you do it when cleaning the bolt, but it's easy to sort. Regards JCS

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    You don't need the rifle to fix this issue, just the bolt.

    Just turn the bolt shroud back to where it should be. It takes a bit of force. I generally wrap a rag round the bolt shroud. If you have a vice with soft jaws, you could put the bolt in a vice and then use both hands to turn the bolt shroud back. It's a bit alarming the first time you do it when cleaning the bolt, but it's easy to sort. Regards JCS
    Thanks, JCS but do I need to do anything with the "push pin"?
    It's there for some reason, maybe to lock the bolt in firing position?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ShootinPeter View Post
    Thanks, JCS but do I need to do anything with the "push pin"?
    It's there for some reason, maybe to lock the bolt in firing position?
    No, ignore the push pin. Grip the black unit (shroud assembly) and twist it clockwise until you reach the indent. The bolt should then be able to be used again. Regards JCS

  5. #5

    Question Success?

    OK. That's done fairly easily.
    But. There's no apparent indent.

    The black shroud assembly is now approx 180 degrees from where it was.
    Looks a bit odd but I won't be able to test it in the rifle until tomorrow night.

    I'll come back Friday.

  6. #6
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Herefordshire, Hampshire or Essex
    Posts
    2,743
    Pete, just cycle the bolt a few times and dry fire it, then recyle. All should be fine.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Pete, just cycle the bolt a few times and dry fire it, then recyle. All should be fine.
    Thanks Eric, but I couldn't get the bolt home since the machining on the black shroud hits the stock and stops any further progress after about half way in.

    I'll see if it's OK now tomorrow night.

  8. #8

    Thumbs up Sorted!

    Quote Originally Posted by ShootinPeter View Post
    OK. That's done fairly easily.
    But. There's no apparent indent.

    The black shroud assembly is now approx 180 degrees from where it was.
    Looks a bit odd but I won't be able to test it in the rifle until tomorrow night.

    I'll come back Friday.
    OK. That's sorted

    Just one point though. JCS said, "..until you reach the indent." There isn't an indent except in the 'fired' position.

    However it might be of interest to note that the black shroud should be rotated clockwise from the 'fired' position to just clear of the indent. Any further and the bolt will not go home.

    Thanks for your help.

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale "Nite Ize" Led Dog Collars & "Spot-Lit" Clip On Led
    By Monarch Country Products in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-12-2016, 12:53
  2. For Sale Irish Setter "Havoc" 10" Boots
    By Wsm in forum Clothing & Footwear
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-12-2012, 17:12
  3. For Sale OutDoor Edge "Zip Blade" & Mora 6" Narrow Filleting Knife
    By Monarch Country Products in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-06-2012, 21:51
  4. Of "Bulk" Densities, "Solid" Densities, "Energy" Densities & Precision Reloading
    By gitano in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22-01-2012, 16:01
  5. "Calibre" or "Cartridge"?
    By flytie in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 16-01-2012, 16:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •