Ruger M77 Bolt problem. How to "unsnap"?

ShootinPeter

Last night cleaning the rifle I picked up the bolt and as I did so it fired so that the firing pin is now permanently extended.
This shows the firing pin extended:

DSCF2492.JPG
These two a rear views:

DSCF2493.JPGDSCF2494.JPG

I saw this: bolt problem but it doesn't cut the mustard with my bolt.

I hope the pics show enough detail to explain my problem.

I cannot push the bolt home to re-cock it since the machined block hits the stock when about half way in.

I don't want to apply excessive force and break it but there must be a way of re-cocking it?

Do I now need a special tool?

Have I trashed it somehow?

You don't need the rifle to fix this issue, just the bolt.

Just turn the bolt shroud back to where it should be. It takes a bit of force. I generally wrap a rag round the bolt shroud. If you have a vice with soft jaws, you could put the bolt in a vice and then use both hands to turn the bolt shroud back. It's a bit alarming the first time you do it when cleaning the bolt, but it's easy to sort. Regards JCS

You don't need the rifle to fix this issue, just the bolt.

Just turn the bolt shroud back to where it should be. It takes a bit of force. I generally wrap a rag round the bolt shroud. If you have a vice with soft jaws, you could put the bolt in a vice and then use both hands to turn the bolt shroud back. It's a bit alarming the first time you do it when cleaning the bolt, but it's easy to sort. Regards JCS
Thanks, JCS but do I need to do anything with the "push pin"?
It's there for some reason, maybe to lock the bolt in firing position?

Thanks, JCS but do I need to do anything with the "push pin"?
It's there for some reason, maybe to lock the bolt in firing position?

No, ignore the push pin. Grip the black unit (shroud assembly) and twist it clockwise until you reach the indent. The bolt should then be able to be used again. Regards JCS

Success?

OK. That's done fairly easily.
But. There's no apparent indent.

The black shroud assembly is now approx 180 degrees from where it was.
Looks a bit odd but I won't be able to test it in the rifle until tomorrow night.

I'll come back Friday.

Pete, just cycle the bolt a few times and dry fire it, then recyle. All should be fine.
Thanks Eric, but I couldn't get the bolt home since the machining on the black shroud hits the stock and stops any further progress after about half way in.

I'll see if it's OK now tomorrow night.

Sorted!

OK. That's done fairly easily.
But. There's no apparent indent.

The black shroud assembly is now approx 180 degrees from where it was.
Looks a bit odd but I won't be able to test it in the rifle until tomorrow night.

I'll come back Friday.
OK. That's sorted :D

Just one point though. JCS said, "..until you reach the indent." There isn't an indent except in the 'fired' position.

However it might be of interest to note that the black shroud should be rotated clockwise from the 'fired' position to just clear of the indent. Any further and the bolt will not go home.

Thanks for your help.

Back