Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just watch a DVD on bow hunting

Just watch a DVD on bow hunting

christ that a brutal sport,I always thought bow hunters were very skillfull but after watching a gut shot white tail run and then found 5 hours later,its not my idea of sportmanship as the beast must have died very slowy

[/quote]as the beast must have died very slowy

But bow hunters do not phrase it like that, they descibe it as "giving it time to bleed out". So its not a slow painful death, its bleeding out you see, so there must be a difference.

there's some horrific stuff on youtube with americans and bows. The shoot at anything from turkeys to bears, they really have no respect what so ever for animal welfare.

Quote Originally Posted by roe steak
    there's some horrific stuff on youtube with americans and bows. The shoot at anything from turkeys to bears, they really have no respect what so ever for animal welfare.
    it wasnt u tube,it was a free DVD I got at the CLA gamefair sponsered by realtree
    shocking really I have shot some big stuff in my time all over the world but this box hunting really opened my eyes,i wanted to have a go at hunting with a bow sometime in my life but I dont think I will bother now

Bow hunting or rifle hunting, in skilled hands either is a tool that allows swift and clean kills.

Gut shot, any animal is not going to enjoy the rest of its life.

As usual, it's the nut behind the but!

Rgds Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanF
    Bow hunting or rifle hunting, in skilled hands either is a tool that allows swift and clean kills.

Gut shot, any animal is not going to enjoy the rest of its life.

As usual, it's the nut behind the but!

Rgds Ian
    +1 A single fluffed shot doesn't make it brutal.

I wonder how many pheasants catch a single pellet in the guts at the end of a driven day?

Sorry Ian, can't agree about bows being as capable as rifles at giving a clean kill. No top bow shooter is going to be as accurate as an average rifle shooter and the delivery of energy is completly different.

Good compund bows release only at a speed of about 300 fps with a snap that allow the quarry to flinch even at very close range so your arrow isn't going to land where you aim

The arrow with hunting head only cuts in while the bullet causes significant trauma because of the shock wave passing through the animals tissues. There's a very good reason why we don't play indians in th uk.

I too have watched some bow hunting DVDs and I'm still undecided about it.

A lot is down to the skill of the hunter and we know that there are poor rifle shots around that wound and leave animals to die a lingering death and this is particularly true of the US where there seems to be some kudos for long range shots.

Modern broadheads are very efficient and have three razor sharp cutting edges designed to cause severe blood loss.

My view of bow hunting based on what I have seen, and of course this is limited, is that:

a) bow hunters show considerable skills (and courage) in getting far closer to their quarry than a rifle hunter needs to.

b) animals shot with a bow show far less alarm and shock than those shot with a rifle. Of course there is no noise but also in a number of cases the animal reacts as if it has been stung by an insect, especially the bigger animals like bears and moose.

c) Animals shot with a bow often die of haemorrhage not organ destruction or shock. This does sometimes take longer but in many cases the animal does not exhibit distress and just lies down and expires. I saw one grizzly bear hunt where the hunter waited for about 30 minutes just 20 yards from the bear until it offered a shot. The bear then reacted as if it had been stung but settled down again and just died a minute or two later. (He had a guide with a rifle as back up).

d) Animals not hit in a vital area have a fair chance of survival, probably better than if similarly hit with a bullet as they have suffered no shock injuries. Neck or head shots are not really an option for bow hunters and these risky shots are thus avoided.

e) Animals like deer did run a fair way after the shot but not really any further than we might expect with an "engine room" shot on a deer with a rifle.

f) Hunting with a bow does not in any way disturb the hunting area in terms of alarming other animals and is in effect non-intrusive.

g) Bow hunting probably requires more skill in shot placement than rifle hunting and the inevitable lack of skill by a larger proportion of bow hunters is going to result in more wounded animals.

My conclusion is that I'm not going to condemn it out of hand but it's not for me. I do think that bow hunters should be licensed and have to demonstrate a minimum standard of marksmanship.

I have a video of Ted Nugent shooting a wildboar/feral pig with a bow, and the arrow goes straight through,the pig just flinches and then carries on feeding, and then after a few minutes falls over obviously through internal bleeding.
    There is also another one that shows a black bear being hit,it runs 100yds before falling over,never recovered the arrow.
    Modern bows are equally as deadly as any firearm, the skill involved is in my opinion far greater than that of most stalkers.
    As has been said before a gut shot animal is going to die a slow death irrelevant of what its shot with..
    A 5hr follow up is to be commended, I wonder how many of us would have given up after 5hrs..
    I for one would like to have the opportunity to hunt with a bow, to see if I have the neccesary skills that you need to get within touching distance..

This attitude towards something that probably non of us have experienced really does leave a lot to be desired, a bit like flyfisheman versus bait fisherman, or the the attitude towards shooting deer with a shotgun.
    Are you a fly fisherman or an angler, or are you hunter or someone who justs shoots with a rifle..

Me, I want to try everthing, I not prepared to accept a blinkered approach to hunting.

regards
    griff

p.s the way legislation is going a bow and arrow might be the only alternative!

I have no problem with the concept of stalking so close to an animal that you could hit it with an arrow. I do with the concept of actually releasing the arrow. The members of this site profess to 'manage' deer and to do so in a humane way using the right equipment to get the job done properly.

To test oneself is one thing. To then use a weapon knowing that it might not do the job properly, is entirely wrong in my opinion.