Thread: soakaway drains ?

soakaway drains ?

evening all , im looking to get a dog run run come the spring, it will be cocrete based with a self contained kennel/run unit on it, due to the run of my garden, i can channel the drain anywhere, im thinking of getting a deep soakaway with a trap for debris and hair, what are peoples experiences of using this type of drain ? iv been getting mixed reviews searching the net, all advice and tips welcome ?

cheers

Use an aqua cell, from keyline or any decent builders merchants. They're basically an engineered plastic crate you put in the ground, surrounded by Teram type weed membrane. Pipe the top water into it and away you go, much more capacity than a traditional rubble filled soak away. If you want to discuss further feel free to PM me.

Tom

Draincenter
    Last edited by tjwaines; 20-02-2013 at 21:34.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

I just sink an old bucket in the ground to act as a trap, cut a hole near the top to take a bit of drainage pipe (with perferations down it) and ran the pipe down garden. I didnae even bother with a proper soakaway and i've got 3 kennells/4 dogs running into it .It's nowt fancy and never had any bother with it. I wouldn't imagine ur putting vast quantities of water down it anyway. The volume off the pipe will take a fair bit off water alone and the rest soaksaway no prob's and never backs up even with this crap weather we et now

Sound advice from others but how well it will work depends much on how permeable your soil is and the depth of the water table in winter. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Sound advice from others but how well it will work depends much on how permeable your soil is and the depth of the water table in winter. atb Tim
    Indeed, a percolation test is generally required to satisfy building control for an extension / new build etc. But as said by Countryboy a kennel shouldn't need much capacity.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

I have a soak away for the dogs it gets there eventually but we have a clay soil I should have piped it into a nearby drain to the septic tank ......hindsight eh !