Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noble rifle powder

Noble rifle powder

I have some unopened noble rifle powder in the tins .

£15 per tin

thanks chris

Do you have any data and which ones do you have? (No.1 or No.2)

If ED does not want them I'll take them...

Ed i can get my hands on the nobel reloading manual if you want alook at it.stuart

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    I have some unopened noble rifle powder in the tins .

£15 per tin

thanks chris
    Chris,

I'm all for selling off discontinued 'scopes from the 1990's like the Leupold M8 Varmint you've got in Classifieds (free bump there), but these are the old ICI Nobel Rifle series powders No. 0 - No.3 from Stevenston.

Last manufactured 30 years ago....my last series was March 1978.

I'm positive that these cannot 'legally' be sold anymore. I don't believe that even a Section 5 carrier can transport them so they're a collect job only. As this is an open forum it's important to make these points so everyone knows what's what.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Chris,

I'm all for selling off discontinued 'scopes from the 1990's like the Leupold M8 Varmint you've got in Classifieds (free bump there), but these are the old ICI Nobel Rifle series powders No. 0 - No.3 from Stevenston.

Last manufactured 30 years ago....my last series was March 1978.

I'm positive that these cannot 'legally' be sold anymore. I don't believe that even a Section 5 carrier can transport them so they're a collect job only. As this is an open forum it's important to make these points so everyone knows what's what.
    A couple or three points:
    1. WHY can such older powers not be legally sold?
    2. As far as "collect" only - my reading of the ad saw nothing about the price including P&P, nor implications that they would be posted
    3. WHAT has a Section 5 carrier to do with a private sale of powder? TNT and other Haz-mat-goods couriers would be the ones to use, OR, indeed anyone holding an RCA/POMSTER who was collecting on behalf of a mate.

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    A couple or three points:
    1. WHY can such older powers not be legally sold?
    2. As far as "collect" only - my reading of the ad saw nothing about the price including P&P, nor implications that they would be posted
    3. WHAT has a Section 5 carrier to do with a private sale of powder? TNT and other Haz-mat-goods couriers would be the ones to use, OR, indeed anyone holding an RCA/POMSTER who was collecting on behalf of a mate.
    Old ICI powders are in non EU approved containers so contravene current packaging & labelling requirements. The age of the contents is a separate issue. DuPont (IMR) powders disappeared for a while due to conformity problems with these regs.

Not an easy topic to get info on but did find this BASC advice on a trawl:-

www.basc.org.uk/.../6C47CC1E-0307-44C3-A39B7DD0230E7119
    Shooters’ powder

411 Shooters’ powder includes both black powder and smokeless powder.

412 The powder must be kept in containers with no more than 550 grams of powder per container. The containers must be constructed in such a way that, in the event of a fire they do not provide additional containment that will increase the explosive force of any deflagration. Normally plastic/polythene or paper/cloth containers will be suitable for this purpose. Metal containers with a screw cap, or a push-in lid (ie similar to a paint tin lid) must not be used.

413 Although shooters’ powders are generally not very sensitive to ignition by electrostatic discharge, homeloaders or others who decant the contents of plastic containers must take care to reduce the risk of build up of static electricity. Advice on appropriate precautions may be sought from the manufacturer.

I suspect any FEO from Firearms & Explosives Licensing would throw a hissy fit should they spot the old metal cans on reloader's shelves now. Whilst probably not illegal you might get a severe talking to. You can't repackage powders - certainly not for sale.

I didn't mention posting which isn't allowed anyway. Carriage of explosives needs a suitably licensed carrier like those you've listed. If the carrier was made aware of a box of 'tinned' smokeless powders then I think they'd refuse the consignment. There's nothing to stop a private person collecting a bootload 'on behalf of a mate' in your words, so if you're local it isn't a problem.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Old ICI powders are in non EU approved containers so contravene current packaging & labelling requirements. The age of the contents is a separate issue. DuPont (IMR) powders disappeared for a while due to conformity problems with these regs.

Not an easy topic to get info on but did find this BASC advice on a trawl:-

www.basc.org.uk/.../6C47CC1E-0307-44C3-A39B7DD0230E7119
    Shooters’ powder

411 Shooters’ powder includes both black powder and smokeless powder.

412 The powder must be kept in containers with no more than 550 grams of powder per container. The containers must be constructed in such a way that, in the event of a fire they do not provide additional containment that will increase the explosive force of any deflagration. Normally plastic/polythene or paper/cloth containers will be suitable for this purpose. Metal containers with a screw cap, or a push-in lid (ie similar to a paint tin lid) must not be used.

413 Although shooters’ powders are generally not very sensitive to ignition by electrostatic discharge, homeloaders or others who decant the contents of plastic containers must take care to reduce the risk of build up of static electricity. Advice on appropriate precautions may be sought from the manufacturer.

I suspect any FEO from Firearms & Explosives Licensing would throw a hissy fit should they spot the old metal cans on reloader's shelves now. Whilst probably not illegal you might get a severe talking to. You can't repackage powders - certainly not for sale.

I didn't mention posting which isn't allowed anyway. Carriage of explosives needs a suitably licensed carrier like those you've listed. If the carrier was made aware of a box of 'tinned' smokeless powders then I think they'd refuse the consignment. There's nothing to stop a private person collecting a bootload 'on behalf of a mate' in your words, so if you're local it isn't a problem.
    Ta for that (the link went to a dead page though, so may be out of date)

Seems a little strange in some ways - like the MAX of 550g per container - MOST Viht rifle powder is in 1kg tubs, some are even bigger than that!!

As you say though, the old Nobel tins don't meet CURRENT EU laws - in common with a lot else in the average household - so I'd be very surprised if an FEO decided to try a retroactive prosecution. Some will use any opportunity though

412 The powder must be kept in containers with no more than 550 grams of powder per container.
    So I should immediately get rid of a 1kilo tub of Vit N-120 ?

Neil.

It seems to me that shooters are their own worst enemy at times - making problems when there are none!