Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCS again

DCS again

The current proposals from the DCS also include that anyone who stalks in Scotland MUST have a deer dog..
    So if these proposals go through and your going to stalk in Scotland and you haven't got a dog, then stay at home..

regards
    griff

What a good idea they should be given a pat on the back, for coming up with something that makes sense.

Hopfully this will be widened to the whole of the UK if the government has any sense.

deer dog

Hi there griff.. Well things just get better eh what if i have a dog at home does that count. if its not one thing its another.

Surely that doesnt mean each and every stalker??

If your in a group and on a cull for example is one dog in the group suffice?

You can see whats coming next -- Specific breeds will only be deemed deer dogs

Terry

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Terry

If they're going to identify the specific breeds then following on from the breathtaking logic that they've employed to date I'm off to train my wire-haired Pomeranian-Chihauha cross.

willie_gunn

The dog has to go on a course, " Special Hound Intelligence Test"

Then it has to go on the register !!!

Re: DCS again

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    The current proposals from the DCS also include that anyone who stalks in Scotland MUST have a deer dog..
    So if these proposals go through and your going to stalk in Scotland and you haven't got a dog, then stay at home..

regards
    griff
    I have just had a telephone call from Jaimie Hammond of the DCS, they, the DCS, would like to point out that this statement is incorrect. The use of a dog would only be required for night shooting, and not for normal stalking hours.

With regard to night shooting at present a licence is issued to an area of land, and the night shooting is conducted by a person who is nominated and on the register of fit and competent persons. Under the new proposals the it will be a person and not land that is licensed for night shooting

I had quite a conversation with him and during the course of it I learned something. I always thought that the new proposed qualification that the DCS have been promoting, would be one devised, set and tested by them. However I was wrong, my understanding now, is that the DCS are recommending that in order for anybody to stalk deer in Scotland they should be on a register, and the way to get on the register is to display your competence by taking a test (or two?).

That is there recommendation, now for the bit I did not realise, this test will be set by the DMQ people, the same ones who set out the requirements for the DSC 1 and 2. Was not the DSC 1 and 2 decided upon following a consultation / discussion with BASC, BDS and the like?

Does this mean that if these recommendations are accepted that we shall have the same people deciding if or not there should be a separate certification for North of the border?

John

DCS agin

I'll ask Mc Cormick if he'll sell his Liver hound!

What about an ugly bird who likes venison.

I could arrange for one them at pretty short notice?