Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got a bore sighter I could use locally.......

Anyone got a bore sighter I could use locally.......

Just wondering if anyone locally has a bore sighter they would mind lending me or letting me use so I can get my .375 set up with its new scope.......
    I wouldn't normally worry, but with the ammo costing as much as it does, it'd be good to be on the paper to start with rather than firing huge amounts into the back stop.......

Anywhere within striking distance of Barton Mills, Suffolk.........

Cheers!

You should be able to get on paper by simply using the eye.

If you adopt the mandatory NRA/BSRC 100 yard zero check procedure for HME rifles you'll not go far wrong.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    You should be able to get on paper by simply using the eye.

If you adopt the mandatory NRA/BSRC 100 yard zero check procedure for HME rifles you'll not go far wrong.

K
    Forgive my ignorance, but could you elaborate........? What's the procedure you're referring to?
    thanks

If you securely support the rifle, i.e. in a gun vice or similar so it can't move around to much, then with the bolt removed aim the rifle by looking up the barrel until you see your target 100 yards away, you can then make the necessary scope adjustments until your scope point of aim matches barrel point of aim. Will get your first round on paper, and usually to within a few clicks of spot on.

Thats it in a nutshell and should be a walk in the park with that size bore!

I am hoping to get up to stay at The Bull towards the end of next week, will bring one up if it works out.
    Cheers Guy.

Established Poster
    +1 on doing it visually. If you use a target that is colour coded (think traditional archery target) you can get it within an inch or two easily.

Don't have to use a target ,i bore sighted the last one i did on a dark patch in the grass in the field over the road at around 100yd out of the kitchen window,was 3" low on the paper when i fired the first shot at target at 50yds,took 3 rnds to zero at 100,use anything you can see easily through the bore and just set your crosshairs to it,you need a stable support for the gun,gunvise,black and decker workmate,if your stuck a cardboard box with bits cut out to hold it steady.

Thanks all, I will try it as suggested and see how I get on, I have done it this way before but only very roughly.....
    suffolk stalker, thanks, let me know if you're going to be up this way, I'm only just up the road from the bull, what you doing there, bit much for a stalking lodge......?
    cheers all!

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    If you securely support the rifle, i.e. in a gun vice or similar so it can't move around to much, then with the bolt removed aim the rifle by looking up the barrel until you see your target 100 yards away, you can then make the necessary scope adjustments until your scope point of aim matches barrel point of aim. Will get your first round on paper, and usually to within a few clicks of spot on.
    Or if you struggle to see at 100, start at circa 35yds, much easier.