Thread: Feeding Dogs Deer carcasses

Feeding Dogs Deer carcasses

Alright

I usually feed the deer carcasses to my dogs after i have removed as much meat as possible, and they love it.

In the past in have left it in fairly large (or even whole carcass) and put my dogs in the same kennel and let them get on with it. Like feeding time at the zoo or something. They don't fight so never been a problem that way.

More recently i have cut it up into more 1 portion pieces for each dog, thinking that would be better for them.
    I watched my young lab and springer and they pretty much swallowed a 2 rib piece in a oner, they just crushed the ribs enough to swallow and keep on crushing and swallowing almost like eating pasta.
    I was quite concerned and waited with them for a good while incase they choked or something, they are fine and no harm done.

But is it a good idea to cut the carcass up into small pieces or would i be better leaving it far bigger so they actually have to chew rip pieces off in the future? And how do others feed it to there dogs

Cheers for any advice

I think that if you start your dogs off on raw meat/bones then they will be able to cope with bones easy,but if introduced at a later date then they can try to swallow too large a piece,but either way I don't think they should be left alone with them.My dogs have eaten deer heads from pups and always have whatever I don't use from the larder,some chopped small some large.

Martin

I feed my two on whole chicken carcasses and they chew it more when in big pieces but pretty much inhale it if in smaller joints. Once I complete the DSC1 I plan to feed the bones etc to mine.

Just don't feed any supporting bones ie. leg bones as they splinter differently and can easily kill a dog.

basic rule, if it as big as there head they cant swallow so they need to chew it up,some dogs will gulp food weather its kibble meat or bones. so the bigger the better and by the time it gets to smaller bits they normally slowed down a bit
    have a springer who used to gag every meal while racing to eat dry food. about a year ago changed him to a raw diet , rabbit chicken pigeon,deer ,tripe ,fish and raw veg
    he is doing so well on it that when when we got a viszla pup he to was moved to a raw diet ,and soon after that are old faimly gsd was on raw
    .you can find out loads online look for "barf diet"
    bones in there raw state have been fine with all are 3 but you will always get the horror stories!!!

My dog loves raw deer bones and chews them up carefully and completely. But the ground up remains turn his turds into something like concrete, and there have been a few times I have had to help ease them out Same as when he eats grass.

Big cattle bones are great, he shreds the epitheses, but the bone is too large for him to crunch. Keeps him busy for hours.

Unfortunately his love of bones has worn his canines. The vet noticed it last checkup, his sharp fangs are now noticeably blunter. He is about 6 years old. So we are now limiting his treats.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    Alright

I usually feed the deer carcasses to my dogs after i have removed as much meat as possible, and they love it.

In the past in have left it in fairly large (or even whole carcass) and put my dogs in the same kennel and let them get on with it. Like feeding time at the zoo or something. They don't fight so never been a problem that way.

More recently i have cut it up into more 1 portion pieces for each dog, thinking that would be better for them.
    I watched my young lab and springer and they pretty much swallowed a 2 rib piece in a oner, they just crushed the ribs enough to swallow and keep on crushing and swallowing almost like eating pasta.
    I was quite concerned and waited with them for a good while incase they choked or something, they are fine and no harm done.

But is it a good idea to cut the carcass up into small pieces or would i be better leaving it far bigger so they actually have to chew rip pieces off in the future? And how do others feed it to there dogs

Cheers for any advice
    I do same as you, and never had any issues. Theres nowt like plenty of carcasses to keep the dogs in tip top condition. I am anti 'dry food' whenever I can avoid the damn stuff.

I feed all sorts of game and wildlife to the dogs, either whole, or like you say, the left overs!

Lucky dogs