Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Calibre?

What Calibre?

Quite new to the shooting game and looking for any advice on what is the right calibre to get? Im looking at a .22 for the small game ie Rabbits but still undecided about the right calibre for Deer. I spent a week stalking up in scotland and all i used was a .243 and in my eyes this was a suitable size for what i was doing. A few people have suggested a .270 but being in suffolk not sure how much meat damage etc a .270 would do to a muntie???

Any help with this matter would be great as dont want to fork out money for something if there is a better option out there.

Many thanks

What species are you looking to stalk? Will it be used for fox as well? I dont have the experience of other guys on here to offer much guidance but im based in Suffolk and use a .243 for everything but im sure someone much wiser than myself will be along to help!

Tom

You won't necessarily find that a smaller calibre causes less meat damage, in fact the reverse is often true.
    I would choose a calibre that is at least fairly common and for which a large choice of factory ammunition is readily available: .243 .270 .308 25-06 30-06 6.5x55 any of these would be fine

For all round use I would go for a 6.5x55, 308, 270, 7 x 57, 7mm/08 or 30/06. If you are shooting Munties stick with a reasonable weight of bullet rather than going lighter. Starting points would be 120 grain for 6.5, 150g for 308. If in doubt go heavier not lighter providing you are shooting at normal ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Muirhead View Post
    Quite new to the shooting game and looking for any advice on what is the right calibre to get? Im looking at a .22 for the small game ie Rabbits but still undecided about the right calibre for Deer. I spent a week stalking up in scotland and all i used was a .243 and in my eyes this was a suitable size for what i was doing. A few people have suggested a .270 but being in suffolk not sure how much meat damage etc a .270 would do to a muntie???

Any help with this matter would be great as dont want to fork out money for something if there is a better option out there.

Many thanks

You dont say how much experience you have. Like a lot of sports confidence is everything with shooting. If you shoot rabbits with a .22rf and get the odd ricochet and are close to buildings it may undermine your confidence. If you have shot a .243 and are comfortable with it and are not likely to be stalking the reds on a regular basis then I would stick with it. Low recoiling, lots of factory ammo, a great fox round if required, lots of choice second hand, make a good choice. Lots on here would disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    You dont say how much experience you have. Like a lot of sports confidence is everything with shooting. If you shoot rabbits with a .22rf and get the odd ricochet and are close to buildings it may undermine your confidence. If you have shot a .243 and are comfortable with it and are not likely to be stalking the reds on a regular basis then I would stick with it. Low recoiling, lots of factory ammo, a great fox round if required, lots of choice second hand, make a good choice. Lots on here would disagree.

Been shooting about a year now. Never missed a rabbit with .22, unfortunately my mate got posted so im now in process of getting my own FAC etc. Done a little deer stalking up in scotland. I did get the chance to use a .270 with mod on a hill stalk and found it to be a nice smooth shot.

Thanks to all for help and advice, will let you know what i end up going for

Iv got a 243, again another Suffolk boy here. Depends on what your planning to stalk really mate! Basically its roe, muntjac and fallow round me, all which can be taken comfortably with that size. If your doing a bit of red stalking maybe try a 6.5x55? Id say go for something youll be confident in, there is nothing worse than feeling under-gunned if your asked to take a large beast.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    Iv got a 243, again another Suffolk boy here. Depends on what your planning to stalk really mate! Basically its roe, muntjac and fallow round me, all which can be taken comfortably with that size. If your doing a bit of red stalking maybe try a 6.5x55? Id say go for something youll be confident in, there is nothing worse than feeling under-gunned if your asked to take a large beast.
    Whilst still quite new to the stalking game i will be happy with any stalking. My first deer was a red and that was taken with a .243 so more than happy to stick with it i feel and if the need arises then i can address that issue.

Cheers again for advice.

If you are going for one rifle the .243 is a good all round option.
    If funds allow something like .308 for the big beasts and possibly 22-250 for the wee ones.