The Call from assesor

Deanandrew64

well just had the call from my portfolio assesor, what a really great guy very friendly and informative, thanks glen. had good 40 mins on phone and questions on meat hygiene, notifiable diseases, and my three stalks, all ok he was really pleased with the input, hard work but feel really pleased tonight, just got to wait for internal verifier or certificate many thanks for everyones help and a special word of thanks to mike Dickinson at calton moor range for his efforts over the last three years and always being at the end of the phone if i needed advice, equipment, or just a friendly chat to keep spirits up.:tiphat:

Woah ! if your assessor was on the phone to you for 40 mins he must have had a lot to clear up or didn't believe all that was written in your portfolio.
If the portfolio was written up fully then there shouldn't have been much for the assessor to clarify, they shouldn't need to question you at all, as all should be written clearly in the portfolio.
In some cases they needn't even contact you at all, other than to tell you that he was satisfied and would pass it on.
Regardless of my comments, congratulations on your level 2 as it sounds as if it should go through now without a hitch.

I remember my call, talk about flutterbys in the stomach.
Ben Andrews called me and spent the best part of 30 minutes with combined chit chat and portfolio questions.
I found the whole thing very reassuring that everything was being covered and both mine and the AW's versions of events confirmed.

no he was great, giving me advice on a career change in the future, took about fifteen minutes to go thro portfolio, anyone got a link for the deer initiative group, see what further courses in deer management are available or do they have an office or address, replies most welcome

no he was great, giving me advice on a career change in the future, took about fifteen minutes to go thro portfolio, anyone got a link for the deer initiative group, see what further courses in deer management are available or do they have an office or address, replies most welcome

Many congratulations.

The first call I got from my assessor I was in the departure lounge at Heathrow, so not ideal timing :oops:

If you are looking at further courses I can thoroughly recommend the BDS Deer Manager's course. It's more about managing deer than stalking them, but was definitely a week well spent - informative, enjoyable and with a great bunch of like-minded people.

Jelen has also just started a Deer Manager's course, but not having been on it I can't offer an objective opinion. Subjectively, their DSC1 courses seem to get rave reviews and I doubt the Deer Manager's course will be any different.

willie_gunn

thanks for that willie_gunn, yes my assessor was glen boxall a well known member of basc team, he was great, gave me some good info on where to look for a future career move into deer management, didnt want it to be 15 minutes chat and slam phone down, he was really knowledgable in all aspects of stalking and management, he did good article in sporting rifle last summer on calling roe with a beech leaf, thanks for the great reply:tiphat:

Last edited:
I have just been trying to remember the phone call from my assesor for my DSC2 which was 10 years ago and then I remembered I never had one, I sent it off with all the relative paperwork and 5 weeks later the certificate appeared.
I must have done something properly for once in my life.

Last edited:
same here, last year about the time they would have been ringing me, BT kindly took all the local phonelines out of commision for two weeks.
just before the lines went down I had contact from BASC, asking a question.
a month later my certificate came in the post.

so it takes a month for the certificate to come through? oh well never mind, at least i have passed and all the presure is off:thumb:

Back