Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 22 Hornet dies

Reloading 22 Hornet dies

I am getting into reloading although i will admit im no expert, safety first!.

I would like to get my hands on a set of 22 Hornet dies or possibly a Lee loader.

If any one has any tips on reloading this little cartridge i am also open to learn.

Whats the best powder for it, i have heard Lilgun is good.

happy to purchase any bits for reloading it, bullets and primers, already have brass.

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam the Gun View Post
    I am getting into reloading although i will admit im no expert, safety first!.

I would like to get my hands on a set of 22 Hornet dies or possibly a Lee loader.

If any one has any tips on reloading this little cartridge i am also open to learn.

Whats the best powder for it, i have heard Lilgun is good.

happy to purchase any bits for reloading it, bullets and primers, already have brass.

thanks in advance.

Tam I have a Lee loader in .22 Hornet that I dont use if you are interested PM me.

I was given advice from Muir on here on reloading the Hornet following his advice I used Lil Gun 13 grains or case full to brim (same thing) and top it off with 35 grain V Max my Walther shoots sub 1/2" groups @100 yards.

Sounds awesome, i have read alot of Muir's stuff and he sounds like a very good guy with loads of good advise.

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Lil Gun 13 grains or case full to brim (same thing)
    Not the same thing at all, I can get 13.7 grains in fire formed and neck sized Remington case, and that is still not a level fill.
    It is I will admit a safe load, with 35, 40 or 45 grain bullets, at least in my rifle.
    Best results with the hornet include a crimp, not easy with the Lee Loader, and as such it is the one calibre I have failed to load
    well with a Lee Loader. It was actually the hornet that got me to use a press for the first time, before I had loaded .223 and .222 with with very good results. My best advice is wait for Muir to chip in, he really is that good on the hornet.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 23-02-2013 at 07:54. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Not the same thing at all, I can get 13.7 grains in fire formed and neck sized Remington case, and that is still not a level fill.
    It is I will admit a safe load, with 35, 40 or 45 grain bullets, at least in my rifle.
    Best results with the hornet include a crimp, not easy with the Lee Loader, and as such it is the one calibre I have failed to load
    well with a Lee Loader. I was actually the hornet that got me to use a press for the first time, before I had loaded .223 and .222 without with very good results. My best advice is wait for Muir to chip in, he really is that good on the hornet.

Neil.
    Neil

Its interesting that your case takes more powder I use PPU as I can get them easly and I noticed that 13 grains filled my cases to the brim. after that i dint bother weighing.
    I do crimp my cases as well

Regards Al

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Neil

Its interesting that your case takes more powder I use PPU as I can get them easly and I noticed that 13 grains filled my cases to the brim. after that i dint bother weighing.
    I do crimp my cases as well

Regards Al
    PPU are my main stay as well, but again 13 grains is not quite a level fill, maybe a 1/16" down, just room for a bullet to start.
    I must admit I use 35 grain v-max in the main and use H110 for them, just a bit faster and more accurate than Lil'Gun with that weight bullet.
    Heavier bullets I use Lil'Gun exclusively, and can get 40 and 45 grain soft points moving at just over 3000fps.

Neil.

PS: Note I have correct the spelling on my original post, had been a long day sorry for any confusion

I was also a student of muir! Remington brass small pistol primers lilgun powder 35 gn vmax flare case mouth with lee universal expanding die before seating and light crimp

Its been said before but if you can get to grips with reloding this wee stinger successfully you'll cope with all else.

Work up to 13g of LilGun.

K

22 Hornet info

thanks for the tips so far, it sounds like i will be best off with a set of dies rather than the lee loader, is the crimp a seperate die altogether?.is a crimp required if your putting say 13grains of powder in the case?.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam the Gun View Post
    thanks for the tips so far, it sounds like i will be best off with a set of dies rather than the lee loader, is the crimp a seperate die altogether?.is a crimp required if your putting say 13grains of powder in the case?.
    With hornet brass being so thin the crimp helps with producing a uniform case neck tension. I use the lee crimp die which is a separate die.