Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st shotgun

1st shotgun

hi guy's, not sure if i,ve chosen the right section but here goes.

my 10 year old nephew wants to go shooting with me and thought i,d start him with shoguns 1st. what would be the best option for him i.e. single/double barrelied, 410, 20 bore and as he finishs with it my son will then be old enough to use it so also a trusted make.

cheers stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

28 gauge, .410 is too tight a pattern to keep a youngster interested, they won't hit a thing. 28 is best of all worlds really, bigger pattern but not too much punch to make him flinch.

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Baikal/single barrel/open choke?
    I wouldn't spend too much money on it

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    28 gauge, .410 is too tight a pattern to keep a youngster interested, they won't hit a thing. 28 is best of all worlds really, bigger pattern but not too much punch to make him flinch.

Tom
    + 1 theres a Yildiz over under for sale on Guntrader for 400.
    Tusker

Hi Stav-28 bore is a good option but the ammo is very expensive.If your nephew is physicall big enough then go for a 20 bore.A 410 will only serve to dissolution a youngster starting off for the reasons given elsewhere.Go for a good second hand over and under by either Beretta,Miroku or Browning and you will not go wrong although you did not specify a budget-my moto would be buy once.regards Richard.

Sorry I disagree with everybody about the 410, it's a great calibre for a youngster to lean with, if you ask anybody who has shot from a young age what shotgun they started with and they will probably tell you it was a 410, they are cheap to buy and great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post

Tom
    + 2

Get him a 28 gauge !

It's almost a 20 gauge with a bit less recoil .

A 410 in essence is an experts gun . Using a 410 with a learner will only help to defeat them in the beginning .

Stav check you PM's.

My son started out aged 10 with a 12b Beretta al390 Semi which with light loads there is little recoil . He still uses the same gun for foxes and is now 23.