Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cast lead bullets

Account Suspended

Cast lead bullets

Are cast lead bullets designed to expand on impact?

If you are going to use them on live quarry the law says they must expand in a controllable manner. I would recommend a soft alloy around 12 Brinell with a flat nose (Lyman 31141).
    A hollow point just makes the boolit break up.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    If you are going to use them on live quarry the law says they must expand in a controllable manner. I would recommend a soft alloy around 12 Brinell with a flat nose (Lyman 31141).
    A hollow point just makes the boolit break up.
    Thanks DR.

Incidentally, is there a law which actually says that bullets used on deer "must expand in a controllable manner"?

If yes... what law is that please?

Can't give chapter and verse but I believe it came in after the pistol ban and expanding bullets went onto licenses
    Have a look at the Home Office guidelines

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...df?view=Binary
    4.3 The words designed or adapted are the
    important ones here. Any bullet will deform
    on impact with a sufficiently hard surface,
    but only bullets, and ammunition containing
    bullets, which were designed or have been
    adapted to do so in a controlled manner are
    actually affected by the legislation.

SD Regular
    No, unless the mould casts them with a hollow point, or you drill a hollow point in them after casting (such as with a Forster Hollow Pointer) cast lead bullets EVEN WITH A FLAT POINT are not classed as "expanding missiles" for the purposes of the Firearms Act.

So as was posted above, by another, unless cast with that hollow point or afterwards drilles with a hollow point, they are not, per se, even with a flat point that is not drilled, "designed or adapted"....

Daft law - thousands of deer are shot with flat nose boolits in the States each year very humanely! Like the rest of the firearms act really - daft and ineffective!
    Last edited by dodgyrog; 22-02-2013 at 22:05.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    No, unless the mould casts them with a hollow point, or you drill a hollow point in them after casting (such as with a Forster Hollow Pointer) cast lead bullets EVEN WITH A FLAT POINT are not classed as "expanding missiles" for the purposes of the Firearms Act.

So as was posted above, by another, unless cast with that hollow point or afterwards drilles with a hollow point, they are not, per se, even with a flat point that is not drilled, "designed or adapted"....
    so how does that leave normal soft points ? they seem to expand happily without a hollow point?
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

in scotland you will have to look into the speed you can send your cast lead bullets you might have to fit gas checks,
    Last edited by bruce w; 22-02-2013 at 23:54.

Here in the states I kill deer each year with home cast lead bullets . Lately they all started life as 44 caliber so not as much expansion is needed .

However I cast with an alloy of plain old wheelweights and typically air cool . For some of the larger bullets I water quench them for a harder skin to grip the rifling in the barrel . But I can tell you they do an admirable job on whitetail deer and black bear .

Now legalities in your country versus the US are another matter and one I'm not up on .

Incidently I have found with the bullets I cast , a flat point does a far better job dispatching the animals then a HP . I think I've killed 7 animals with hollow pointed home cast lead bullets . And about 30 with regular flat points .