Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What you would not want to share a highseat with !!!

What you would not want to share a highseat with !!!

Had a week in Florida last week while the kids were off school, and had a couple of days staying with a friend before we done four days at the Disney Parks, I must say a day on the hill is less tiring than a day at a Disney Park.
    Back to the days before Disney, I had a couple of evenings sitting out for Feral pigs, Hogs, first night I get placed in seat 20ft over a feeder and told the hogs should appear on very last light.
    Sitting listen to the different sounds and watching the different birds, I look up and see a shape in the tree about 10ft above me, confused as it is shiny, wind the scope down as low as it goes ( a borrowed 7mm ultra mag with a Leupold scope) and have a look, s**t its a big feckin snake all coiled up on a thin branch, not good, but more keen to shoot a feral hog, i keep my eye on it, but never sat in a high seat and looked up more than looking down before!!!!
    It starts getting to the point where the hogs should be showing when I start getting lots of little tree frogs dropping on me and bouncing about on the seat, think to myself, that snake is now moving about above me hunting all the frogs!!! , never been as glad when my mate turned up meaning I could get out the seat.
    Apparently it was probably a rat snake, which is not poisonous, but no matter, I still didn't fancy sharing my seat with it.
    No hogs appeared, but I did have a nice whitetail doe walk under my seat ( out of season ) to take my mind off the snake.

Moose

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Norovirus

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Tony Blair..Gordon Brown...Any Labour politician......**** it ANY politician...... ...

I recently had a fantastic experience, very different to the OP's, when a barn owl suddenly swooped in and landed on the ledge of the seat I was sitting in. It was sat no more than a couple of feet from me! I have since found lots of pellets on the floor of the seat/box, so I guess it must be a very regular visitor. I'll share with a barn owl any day or night.

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Had a week in Florida last week while the kids were off school, and had a couple of days staying with a friend before we done four days at the Disney Parks, I must say a day on the hill is less tiring than a day at a Disney Park.
    Back to the days before Disney, I had a couple of evenings sitting out for Feral pigs, Hogs, first night I get placed in seat 20ft over a feeder and told the hogs should appear on very last light.
    Sitting listen to the different sounds and watching the different birds, I look up and see a shape in the tree about 10ft above me, confused as it is shiny, wind the scope down as low as it goes ( a borrowed 7mm ultra mag with a Leupold scope) and have a look, s**t its a big feckin snake all coiled up on a thin branch, not good, but more keen to shoot a feral hog, i keep my eye on it, but never sat in a high seat and looked up more than looking down before!!!!
    It starts getting to the point where the hogs should be showing when I start getting lots of little tree frogs dropping on me and bouncing about on the seat, think to myself, that snake is now moving about above me hunting all the frogs!!! , never been as glad when my mate turned up meaning I could get out the seat.
    Apparently it was probably a rat snake, which is not poisonous, but no matter, I still didn't fancy sharing my seat with it.
    No hogs appeared, but I did have a nice whitetail doe walk under my seat ( out of season ) to take my mind off the snake.

Moose

Holy crap mate, that would of certainly spiced the outing up..

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Norovirus

willie_gunn
    Oh defo a nastey wee bug..

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Oh defo a nastey wee bug..

Nutty
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    Tony Blair..Gordon Brown...Any Labour politician......**** it ANY politician...... ...
    I can't see any difference between those two and a rat snake!
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    I can't see any difference between those two and a rat snake!
    The rat snake catches vermin but I don't think they'd touch either of those 2!

The rat snake would be offended (and rightly so) to be put in the same class as those two, it has a positive purpose in life, unlike those two& most politicians whose only purpose is to goose us any which way they can ...... .