Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A change for some US hunters.

A change for some US hunters.

The lower house of the Montana State legislature just passed a bill that would legalize the use of suppressed ('moderated' to you folks) rifles for hunting. This still has to make it through the State Legislature but there are no real vocal objection from what my political Peeps tell me. The bill is in a group of bills that deal with firearms regulation, or the blockage thereof. One bill forbids law enforcement from enforcing any new Federal laws; this in support to a bill that was passed three years ago that reaffirmed that only States have the right to control firearms within their borders. (Technically, a suppressor made in Montana, that stays in Montana, is legal to own. The Feds only get involved when it crosses into the realm of "interstate commerce") This new bill deepens the line drawn in the sand, as it were.

Anyhow. Other than a .22 Suppressor for small game hunting, you won't find me rushing out to buy one, or make one, for big game hunting. Interesting change in attitudes though.~Muir

Ah, Montana - an independent state of mind?

That is surprising with the current political rhetoric coming out of Washington and the media these days. It also reminds me why I like Montana, independant thought, increasingly rare these days.

We dont have the luxury of provincial legislative independance when it comes to firearms law, we have federal law which applies across the country. This doesnt apply in Quebec however, when the federal government cancelled the long gun registry the Quebec provincial government ignored the law and kept the data. I guess the law doesnt apply to them.

As for moderators, the anti gun crowd in Canada would faint with fear at the thought of anyone owning something as sinister as a " silencer". I mean , what would you need one of those for, only assasins and gangsters use those things( I'm being sarcastic, but I was told that by a senior RCMP officer once)

AB

Have you used a rifle with a moderator on then Muir,I personally I think they are great things,would be even better if they could somehow reduce the report by half again,am sure somebody will find a way

Everyone should apply for a moderator with every rifle, cos then you can exchange them for other rifles and it costs nowt, says he buying a target rifle and thinking about what calibre he's going to exchange the moderator for...
    There's always next week...

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Have you used a rifle with a moderator on then Muir,I personally I think they are great things,would be even better if they could somehow reduce the report by half again,am sure somebody will find a way
    I have used them in the UK and since then, here at home.(They ARE legal here if you have the permit, just illegal in about half the states for hunting) Why I wouldn't have one:

: I don't like threading my muzzle. I do have a pair of .22's already threaded.
    : I don't like the looks of that "can" hanging off of the barrel.
    : I don't need one. Where I hunt the report is lost to the winds.

...Not to mention the maintenance issues I see posted here. I used to want one badly. I once stripped a .22 PH mod down to components and made detailed measurements of every part. I can machine one when I want it, making it legal by state law. (Must be made in Montana) This law from several years back has yet to face a challenge in Federal court, however, and I don't want to be the first test case! ~Muir

[QUOTE=alberta boy;531694 I mean , what would you need one of those for, only assasins and gangsters use those things( I'm being sarcastic, but I was told that by a senior RCMP officer once) AB[/QUOTE]

Back in the day that was also the mindset of Old Bill over here. Too many senior folk watching Day of the Jackal..... Then a shed load of research came out of Finland (I think) which 'proved' the environmental and health (hearing) benefits of moderators. As any fule kno, environmental and health & safety 'benefits' trumps all other arguments. Chief Officer's concerns about assassins, gangsterism, public safety, law 'n order and the price of fish got swept aside and we now enjoy the freedom to make an informed choice about moderators. To my mind it's the only positive benefit we've had out of the EU.......

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have used them in the UK and since then, here at home.(They ARE legal here if you have the permit, just illegal in about half the states for hunting) Why I wouldn't have one:

: I don't like threading my muzzle. I do have a pair of .22's already threaded.
    : I don't like the looks of that "can" hanging off of the barrel.
    : I don't need one. Where I hunt the report is lost to the winds.

...Not to mention the maintenance issues I see posted here. I used to want one badly. I once stripped a .22 PH mod down to components and made detailed measurements of every part. I can machine one when I want it, making it legal by state law. (Must be made in Montana) This law from several years back has yet to face a challenge in Federal court, however, and I don't want to be the first test case! ~Muir
    In your uber-litigious scociety Muir has anyone ever got the length of taking the authorities to court in civil action for failing to allow them to adequately protect their health and safety (hearing) - by allowing them a moderator?

You still go them measurements to make one, I remember your face the first time I gave you a box of sub sonic's , a moderated 22 and a field of rabbits, the looks that you and junior exchanged were priceless .

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
    Everyone should apply for a moderator with every rifle, cos then you can exchange them for other rifles and it costs nowt, says he buying a target rifle and thinking about what calibre he's going to exchange the moderator for...
    Wouldn't wash in Cheshire mate!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!