Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butchered my first deer

Butchered my first deer

Should probably be in the jokes and funnies sections as its more like mince went out last night after work and managed to shot a nice doe so left it hanging last night and decided ad try skinning and butchering it.. Skinning went not to bad but that's thanks to a carcass day I had with roestalker of this site.. Then the butchery thought I would follow mark gilchrists 3 part video on YouTube it's more like diced and sliced venison than anything else. Please tell me the more practise the better it gets or is there better videos to follow?

The BDS one helped me no end and with a bit of practice it gets esier every time, worth the 10

Skin Butcher and Cook

Quote Originally Posted by rigboot View Post
    The BDS one helped me no end and with a bit of practice it gets esier every time, worth the 10

Skin Butcher and Cook
    Thanks just orderd that.

It's not called butchery for nothing!

Keep practicing.

Good new one from Team Wild on butchering a red. It maybe on a larger scale but you can get some good tips from the video. If you prefer books (and i defiantly do) Graham Downing's Woodland Deer Stalking 2nd Edition is well worth a go, covers everything and some good pictures and info on butchery
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Well done, I love cull it, butcher it and eat it nothing better.

I remember my first one wouldn't even pass as mince and it hadn't even gone through the mince machine.
    I bought the book from Nicola Fletcher and looked at the diagrams. then thought right i'll seperate the muscles/joints then I know what they are and so on.
    Now I can do all that as well as bone and roll and tunnel boneing and all the fancy stuff with the saddles. I'm self taught but just took my time and done a little studdy.
    I'm no wanting to improve my time as say a 50kg deer/boar will take just over 2.5 hours with skinning and all the fancy joints, a little slow I no.

it does get better with practice like most things,a few days hanging make it a lot better as well.I leave all mine at least a week ,these are mainly fallow ,although i do have the benifit of a chiller.good work ,enjoy .. ...

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    Good new one from Team Wild on butchering a red. It maybe on a larger scale but you can get some good tips from the video. If you prefer books (and i defiantly do) Graham Downing's Woodland Deer Stalking 2nd Edition is well worth a go, covers everything and some good pictures and info on butchery
    Not good at taking books in so hopefully bds DVD will work good. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by weeman View Post
    Well done, I love cull it, butcher it and eat it nothing better.

I remember my first one wouldn't even pass as mince and it hadn't even gone through the mince machine.
    I bought the book from Nicola Fletcher and looked at the diagrams. then thought right i'll seperate the muscles/joints then I know what they are and so on.
    Now I can do all that as well as bone and roll and tunnel boneing and all the fancy stuff with the saddles. I'm self taught but just took my time and done a little studdy.
    I'm no wanting to improve my time as say a 50kg deer/boar will take just over 2.5 hours with skinning and all the fancy joints, a little slow I no.
    Yeah was 3.5 hours myself today

Quote Originally Posted by highseat6.5 View Post
    it does get better with practice like most things,a few days hanging make it a lot better as well.I leave all mine at least a week ,these are mainly fallow ,although i do have the benifit of a chiller.good work ,enjoy .. ...
    Don't have a chiller as yet but maby somthing to try in the future to hang a little longer.

Even though I butchered it in all imaginable sense it still taste great. Roasted joint with smeared garlic butter

I get a butcher friend to do my carcases,he does them in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I get a butcher friend to do my carcases,he does them in minutes.
    How close to Ayrshire is he? Lol