Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hinds and stags?

Hinds and stags?

As some of you might rember, I am planning a trip to stalk in the UK. Hopefully it will be within the next 18 months. Is it possible to hunt hinds and stags at the same time. I would like to take a represenative roe, but have no need to 'horn' hunt after that. I would rather take a several hinds rather than some smaller cull stags. It's more game for the buck, so to speak. I care not what kind of deer I stalk, other than the roe stag. thanks, capt david

David I don't know if you have come across this website before but you might find it useful regarding information on the various deer species in the U.K. their distribution and the shooting seasons so that you can plan your trip . http://www.bds.org.uk/

Incidentally we call male roe deer bucks not stags. In general it is the larger deer species that are refered to as stags and hinds and with regard to the smaller we species we say bucks and does.
    Last edited by 8x57; 23-02-2013 at 17:27.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Silly me I forgot about that.

The Fallow Deer is one of our larger species and they too are called bucks and does.
    They are more numerous in the South than here in the North.
    HWH.

H hence my comment about "in general".

It can be confusing to some people. I met a chap the other day when out with the dog and he was telling me about his friend colliding with a roe stag on a local road. I thought that he got it wrong as the only deer in the area he mentioned are fallow and the occasional muntjac but he was insistant it was a ROE STAG.
    The local scout master told me some time ago about a Fallow stag in the field that they were camping and wouldn't have it that fallow male are called bucks, "No this one had horns" was his reply.
    Last edited by 8x57; 23-02-2013 at 19:13.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    H hence my comment about "in general".
    Certainly, but he is a stranger to our shores seeking specific information not general knowledge.

HWH.

I want to shoot a Muntjac stag, imagine - his "horns" would be huge!
    (Sorry to confuse the matter- this is a joke)
    Last edited by Buckaroo8; 23-02-2013 at 19:25.

8X57 .
    Reference the lengthy editing of your terse original post.
    This is a Deer related site which requires correct and specific information to be given to those who need it.
    People with less knowledge than ourselves may not know that Moose are designated as bulls, cows and calves as are cattle.
    Members of the general public can be excused for using the wrong terminology as deer are not their forte.

HWH.

In Texas, they are called Bucks if they have antlers(most call them horns) and does if they have...well you know! the only exceptions are elk which are bulls or cows. We also have reds and those in the know, all six of us, hehe call them hinds and stags.
    As for my other question, how succesful would I be stalking for does the last week or so in March and stalk roe buck a couple of days in April? Also. it's my understanding that generally a doe is included in the stalking fee, while a buck is charged according to size? capt david