Moose Shot by Hunter,gets up and runs away

cervus

Worth a look on YouTube, bullet hits high behind neck,Classic spinal shock reaction to shot:eek:.

Not found link as yet
but guessing this is on a moose hunt where the hunter shoots it from about 10 paces and don't bother to shoot it again as so excited at hitting it in the first place... !!

I don't see why the guy should think of it as being funny. He should have put another shot into it but there again the dog could have been in the way and blocking his shot couldn't really tell. He did seem a bit slow off the mark though.

Last edited:
Whoever was supposed to be in charge of the dog was to blame I think. Bloke could have shot moose as it got up if the dog wasn't pottering about in the way!

Whoever was supposed to be in charge of the dog was to blame I think. Bloke could have shot moose as it got up if the dog wasn't pottering about in the way!

In Scandinavia ( the guy in the video is Norwegian!) we use free running dogs to locate the moose, the moose will then either move around in the terrain to try and lose the dog or stand its ground and the dog will then bark allowing a hunter to stalk into the moose, so the dog here was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. But I do think the guy had plenty of time to put a second shot into it.

In Scandinavia ( the guy in the video is Norwegian!) we use free running dogs to locate the moose, the moose will then either move around in the terrain to try and lose the dog or stand its ground and the dog will then bark allowing a hunter to stalk into the moose, so the dog here was doing exactly what it was supposed to do. But I do think the guy had plenty of time to put a second shot into it.

I am aware that it is common to use free running dogs for hunting scandinavian moose and I wasn't blaming the dog.
In the clip the dog appears after the first shot was taken and he seems to walk past whoever was filming. Nobody called the dog out of the way or caught hold of him as he went past. I think that the cameraman would have been more use controlling the dog than filming. I suspect that the hunter would have been happier taking a second shot if he was certain that the dog was out of the way but if it you're telling me that it is normal practise to let the dog roam freely even after a moose is shot and wounded at such short range then it is just unfortunate that he got in the way.

Back