Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FMJ on foxes. Is it legal or not

FMJ on foxes. Is it legal or not

I've seen this on another forum. Can someone tell me if I'm correct in saying..
    It is ilegal to shoot foxes with FMJ.
    Or am I wrong.

"On flesh the impact damage is mainly hydraulic and apparantly theres not as much difference as you would think with very high velocity bullets. My mate in Wales says they now use FMJ .223s on foxes mainly because they can buy them by post. Otherwise they have to make a long drive to buy expanding bullets from a dealer they don't like and don't get on with. Although originally dubious about it they now seem much more OK with the idea.I would also point out he is a very experienced shooter and lives in a very rural area.

You can order Amax (target bullet) through the post , just use them for Charlie ?

I think it is illegal.
    No doubt someone on here will know for sure.

It's the current Deer Act that requires expanding ammunition to be used ON DEER.

Stan

SD Regular
    I'd respond to the OP's question with my own. Is it illegal to shoot foxes with solid (non hollow point) lead 22 Rimfire cartridges?

As the answer is NO IT IS NOT ILLEGAL I'd also think that it is not illegal to use FMJ in any centrefire calibre. Indeed if you are shooting them for the pelt then it would be almost the only bullet choice.

So no I do not believe that it is illegal.

Foxes would fall outside the deer act so the only issue would be causing unnecessary suffering, pinhole wounding etc.

Although an FMJ from a centerfire would probably have more knockdown power than a Vmax from an HMR..

Legal as far as I am aware but morally dubious. Everything deserves a clean kill.
    may I ask why the question has arisen as anyone with an fac conditioned for fox would be eligible to hold expanding ammo

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Legal as far as I am aware but morally dubious. Everything deserves a clean kill.
    may I ask why the question has arisen as anyone with an fac conditioned for fox would be eligible to hold expanding ammo
    +1 Legal yes, ethical no.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    +1 Legal yes, ethical no.
    You just took the words right out of my mouth.
    Cheers
    Richard

It is not illegal to use to FMJ on Fox, only deer are covered by legislation governing the type of bullet to be used .
    However lets leave FMJs where they belong, for use in military firearms by the military, or enthusiasts on the range.
    I have shot a lot of fox's with Berger Match bullets but they are a hollow point and not a FMJ.

Ian.