Thread: Manlicher Pro Hunter Mk2

Post Manlicher Pro Hunter Mk2

Hi All

I would like some advice as considering buying one but have heard about the flexi stock problem and poor grouping. I would like to hear from some of you guys that own one as to whether this really is an issue or have the manufacturers resolved it ?

I have owned several of the older Manlichers in the past but all wooden stocks. I would hate to buy one and find it shoots crap and that I cannot re sell it etc..

Can someone share their experiences of these particular rifles.

Many thanks guys

Alan

alan

i own a mk2 pro hunter in .222. i don't have a bad word too say about it. mine can shoot 0.5" groups with factory ammo and even better with home-loads. the stock is sturdy enough you just don't put too much pressure on it levering it or anything and there is no problem. i find the stock very comfortable to hold and the palm swell fits very comfortable in my hand. it really is a pleasure to shoot. never no problems. if you ever miss you know its your fault not the gun. don't listen to all the bad press about them its not true in my opinion.

i also own a tikka 595 in 243 and to be honest there is no difference in performance between the 2. i could quite happily only own the styer and would quite happily buy another with out hesitation.

sometimes i feel things get one bad review because someone doesn't like them and then that's it its tarnished it rep forever after word spreads. just IMO.

Pablo.

Hi Pablo

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear an honest un biased opinion. Do you have a moderator + bipod setup ? I am just curious as to whether that makes any difference at all etc ?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Mitscavitch View Post
    Hi Pablo

Thanks that's what I wanted to hear an honest un biased opinion. Do you have a moderator + bipod setup ? I am just curious as to whether that makes any difference at all etc ?

Alan
    alan

yes i have a t4 on it and also harris 13-25 bipod(i think thats the size, big 1 i know that). they dont make the ounce of difference. whe i first bought it i shot it for couple months without mod until i got it screwed cut and moderator fitted. and there is no difference between having and not having.
    having hte bipod on will give u flex if you exert preesure in forward or pull back on it. but what stock wouldnt? if you just used it like it should be and dont push into bipod or pull back into urself then the stock has no issue. i heard the bad press about them when i bought mine but also heard about the accuracy that the old styr produced. so i took the chance and i dont regret it one bit. a rifle that is more accurate than me and perfect what its needed for.

Pablo

Pablo
    Thanks for that info it is appreciated.

Alan

I Have a MKii in .222 as well. No issues at all. Shoots factory Sako and Norma .5 inch at 100 yards no bother. I was a bit wary when i bought it because of all the bad press about the MKi but I would buy another one tomorrow. Im going to fit mine with a tactical bolt though as the bolt handle is a bit of an odd shape.
    Overall a lovely sturdy rifle. I use a Leupold MK4 tactical scope, Harris 6/9 bipod and a Atec Maxim Mod.

Hi Alan
    I have a pro Hunter in .270 and I love mine its never let me down and it shoots clover groups when the driver is on form. I have a harris 9-13 swivel on mine and a wildcat mod. Im so happy I've just put in for a new one in .243. you wont be disappointed

Dan

Cheers lads all info gratefully received.

Alan

I heard about flexi stock problem and when bought my Pro Hunter in .308 I put the bipod on and T8 that weights a ton. I tried twisting and pushing bipod from different positions and could not replicate the problem. Rifle shoots below 0.5" any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitscavitch View Post
    Hi All

I would like some advice as considering buying one but have heard about the flexi stock problem and poor grouping. I would like to hear from some of you guys that own one as to whether this really is an issue or have the manufacturers resolved it ?

I have owned several of the older Manlichers in the past but all wooden stocks. I would hate to buy one and find it shoots crap and that I cannot re sell it etc..

Can someone share their experiences of these particular rifles.

Many thanks guys

Alan
    Hello Alan.

I have Pro Hunters ( Mountain ) in both .243, and .30-06, and use muzzle mounted Mods on both, a light Roedale on the .243, and a heavy Ase Jet-Z on the .30-06. Both shoot consistently, although I adjusted the trigger weight to 2lbs, and avoid the set trigger completely. The stock on the .243 was a Mk1, and did flex a little too much, so I used a fibreglass liquid, and filled the voids to strengthen. The .243 now shoots really good groups all the time.

The .30-06 was a MkII stock, and to my mind Steyr sorted out the flex, and I have not have any issues at all.

They are very good, functional rifles, with a good barrel, bolt, and safety system. It is down to personal preference in handling, and cost, of course.

All the best.

Neil.