Bringing back scope and mounts from canada to the uk

Rburro2

My Dad is out in canada at the moment i have seen a scope and mounts that he can get from walmart believe it or not. Does anyone no the regulations for bringing them back to the uk. Is it legal or will they be seized as he goes though the airport. I dont want to get him in any trouble

i cant see there being any trouble, i think its only nightvision gear that could cause you trouble, i buy loads when i go over from cabelas and walmart, never had a bit of bother.

only issue i can see would be with customs and paying the duty on the items if over your dads allowance( if he declares it off course)
cheers
craig

Wrap carefully in your luggage and post all boxes and warranties home. If stopped, which is highly unlikely, just claim that you took them for maintenance evaluation :D

Cheers
i.

I have experience with this issue last year.Whilst in Toronto Pearson Airport,I had previously been in the USA and bought a leupold scope wrapped it up nice an safe in my hand luggage.
whilst I was going through the Xray my luggage was identified and I was stopped,They asked me to open up my bag and declare what I had,they stated that my scope was a firearm!!!
I argued it was an optic,but due to their strange laws they declare that it was part of a firearm.
I explained it was a small telescope therefore cannot be used to discharge a projectile.classing it as an optic.

this disagreement went on for sometime and they told me to place it into my suitcase ,which had already gone through in check in at the desk.
I was left with 2 options
1 leave it and walk away or 2 stand my ground,after confirmation with the security manager,they decided I could take it on the plane.

so be careful bringing into the uk any scopes

Good luck

Wrap carefully in your luggage and post all boxes and warranties home. If stopped, which is highly unlikely, just claim that you took them for maintenance evaluation :D

Cheers
i.
lie to HMRC not the best advice to give on the world wide web
​lister

Dear HMRC

Please feel free to additionally tax me for not being humourous enough when posting in serious threads... That's once you've checked my entire household for anything that I've brought back into the UK and not paid the correct Import Duties on. Nothing found? No, thought not...

Regards
iain

LOL!

Having had them trawl over a return from 5 years ago recently, they are not someone I'd suggest taking on... They have more powers than the Police, and I'd think proper scary if you p*ssed them off - Not in my bucket list of "Things to do before I die!"

Cheers
iain

Back