Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderators - AGAIN

Moderators - AGAIN

Right

Ive made my mind up that im putting a PES on my .243 but do I go for a over the barrell type (at £270) or a screw on the end of the barrell (at £160)? Has anyone got one or used one?

Any thoughts please...

I've got a PES over the barrel type and there okay. personally I'd wished I'd bought a JetZ (small and more compact). but as I have a PES on my .243 they good.

I use a PES over the barrel, blissfully quiet on my .243 and as debated on a previous thread usually see the shot reaction through the scope. I would recomend one.
    John.

Coal

The PES are well made, but very very heavy compared to some of the newer moderators on the market, A-Tec are good, but try having a look at the new “Ranger” from Jager sporting arms, it is light, fully strippable, and at only £175 very good value while giving nothing away in suppression to any of the other makes.

If you really want a PES I might know were there is a “Scout” going cheap as the guy does not use it any more since he has one of the above.

Best rgds

Tahr

Thank you for the replies. I am now thinking of going back to the drawing board... however are muzzle cans better than over the barrel?

have a pes on a tika 243 over barrel type nice set up
    but i like the jet z compact on the 7 mm more
    hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Coal
    Thank you for the replies. I am now thinking of going back to the drawing board... however are muzzle cans better than over the barrel?
    Both designs have there merits, the over barrel moderators tend to give a better balance rifle as some of the weight is further back. Muzzle mounted cans are better if you are shooting a large number of shots one after another (not really a stalking issue) as the barrel can get very hot with a over barrel moderator fitted. Another point is if you have a semi-auto then it is not always possible to fit an over barrel moddy. Most moderators are built aboard with at least one eye on the semi-auto/military market. Hence why you see a number of muzzle mounted cans about.

For the UK stalker all aspects being equal the over barrel design is probably the better design. IMO

Best rgds

Tahr

I think most moderators are ok. You dont see many people with cautionary tales just "i use xyz and it does the job" personally i use an ase utra s5 and it "does the job".
    One thing to think about is that if you have any thoughts of getting a 30 cal in the future it may be worth getting a 30cal can. I had to drill out my s5 to .30 when i got my .308 works fine but i could have avoided the aggro. People may tell you that it wont be as effective however this isnt my experience.

Regards

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans
    I had to drill out my s5 to .30 when i got my .308 works fine but i could have avoided the aggro. People may tell you that it wont be as effective however this isnt my experience.

Regards

Pete
    I think for most moderators your advice is fine Pete, I too have run 22cf on 30cal moddies without problems, however there is one brand of moderator on the market that seems to need to be matched carefully with the bullet calibre, other wise sound reduction is greatly compromised.

Best rgds

Tahr

I put an AES UTRA Stainless reflex Mod on my .243 £240 and it is whisper quiet. Being stainless it is more resistent to corrosion, doesn't need to be stripped down, quick spray of WD40, left to evaporate and awaty you go.

Weighs a bit, but compensates the recoil and muzzle flip beautifully. Good investment so far.

SS