Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to wear out on the hill

What to wear out on the hill

What do you all think is appropriate wear for stag stalking on Scottish hill in October ? Do people still wear tweeds ( not a fan myself ) is there anything expected of you ?
    this follows a discussion with the girlfreind ! So ill be interested on the outcome

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    What do you all think is appropriate wear for stag stalking on Scottish hill in October ? Do people still wear tweeds ( not a fan myself ) is there anything expected of you ?
    this follows a discussion with the girlfreind ! So ill be interested on the outcome
    When I go in September I wear Harkila trousers and a fleece top, with a gore-tex jacket if necessary. The estate stalker wears tweed +4's unless its really wet, then he's in gore-tex as well.

Used to wear tweed, but these days it's comfort that wins over tradition.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Good pair of stalking boots (waterproof),tough trousers camo or not (waterproof) , Deerhunter type jacket camo or not (waterproof) hat,cap (waterproof)
    Tweeds would be fine down to personal preference. Did I mention make sure whatever you wear make sure it is waterproof.

Tusker

cant beat a pair of tweed +4s on the hill for comfort with good pair of boots and gaitors and a light waterproof jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    People do still wear tweeds however more and more are switching to being warm, dry and comfortable rather than "stylish" and wet and cold! Layer up so that you can take off or add on layers depending on how the weather turns out on the day rounded off by good waterproof outer jacket/trousers and above all good boots.

Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    cant beat a pair of tweed +4s on the hill for comfort with....
    I've stopped wearing my +4s as they let the ticks in at my knees. Regards JCS

JCS has a very good point re ticks. Also bear in mind that Scotland can be 20 degrees bright sunshine and ten minutes later it can be snowing. I think you also need to consider where and with whom you are stalking. If you are invited guest on a traditional estate then tweeds +4s and gaiters are the order of the day. If you are with a bunch of friends much less of an issue and i would go fallraven / harkila type tousers. The two essential elements are good broken in boots that are of a mountain variety and a sense of humour.

Many walking / shooting boots IMHO are fine for walking on reasonably flat ground, on trails, and up footpaths in say the Lake District. They don't though have enough stiffness to give enough support on Scottish mountains, and by its very nature you will be off track.

I would ask your hosts / stalker for their suggestions. Stalking flattish ground on the east is very different to the vertical hills of the west. Also are you stalking from an argocat, or will you have a 10 mile climb to get sight of a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    JCS has a very good point re ticks. Also bear in mind that Scotland can be 20 degrees bright sunshine and ten minutes later it can be snowing. I think you also need to consider where and with whom you are stalking. If you are invited guest on a traditional estate then tweeds +4s and gaiters are the order of the day. If you are with a bunch of friends much less of an issue and i would go fallraven / harkila type tousers. The two essential elements are good broken in boots that are of a mountain variety and a sense of humour.

Many walking / shooting boots IMHO are fine for walking on reasonably flat ground, on trails, and up footpaths in say the Lake District. They don't though have enough stiffness to give enough support on Scottish mountains, and by its very nature you will be off track.

I would ask your hosts / stalker for their suggestions. Stalking flattish ground on the east is very different to the vertical hills of the west. Also are you stalking from an argocat, or will you have a 10 mile climb to get sight of a beast.
    The second deer of my life in 1961 shot on one of the `flat trails and footpaths`of the Lake District.
    I was a self-taught new-starter then with NO mountain boots and learnt the hard way.
    HWH.

Good boots are essential here in the Lake District.
    HWH.

HWH - agreed plenty of the Lakes are very rough and good boots are needed. But I was referring to the general out door walking boots sold to most hikers - they are fine for most of the man made footpaths / motorways that seem to being put in up most of the popular routes, but not for much else. Indeed soft trainer based are probably more comfortable walking on the hard stone surfaces. My Scarpa winter boots are terrible to walk along a road or hard track with, but come into their own when you are walking across terrain as in your photo above.