Thread: Fac

Question Fac

Can i legally purchase a rifle and have it held at my local RFD until my FAC comes through or do i have to wait till its physically in my hand. Might sound like a silly question but i really cant find a solid answer anywhere online.

Any help would be great.

SD Regular
    There is nothing to stop you agreeing to purchase a rifle from an RFD, possibly through the payment of a significant holding deposit, perhaps even as much as 100%, to ensure the rifle is held for you, with the intent of completing the transaction once you have your FAC. You may not purchase a rifle without lawful authority to do so. You will find most RFD's are familiar with this scenario and will be happy to help, even carrying out RFD transfers to make it more convenient for you for when you can pick it up. Make sure he does not charge you storage on the rifle - it is not yours until completion of the transaction!

HTH

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

And if the Rifle was from a fellow stalker rather than just the local Gun shop. What legalities come into it for him to get it off his ticket?? Like i said im pretty new to all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    There is nothing to stop you agreeing to purchase a rifle from an RFD, possibly through the payment of a significant holding deposit, perhaps even as much as 100%, to ensure the rifle is held for you, with the intent of completing the transaction once you have your FAC. You may not purchase a rifle without lawful authority to do so. You will find most RFD's are familiar with this scenario and will be happy to help, even carrying out RFD transfers to make it more convenient for you for when you can pick it up. Make sure he does not charge you storage on the rifle - it is not yours until completion of the transaction!

HTH

E t R

You can legally own a firearm, you just cannot posses it without a correctly conditioned FAC.

If your mate is selling you the gun he would lodge it with an RFD who would take it off his ticket and add it to their register. You could then buy it and collect it once your FAC came back.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thank you for the advice given. Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Muirhead View Post
    And if the Rifle was from a fellow stalker rather than just the local Gun shop. What legalities come into it for him to get it off his ticket?? Like i said im pretty new to all this.
    I bought a rifle from someone on this site before applying for the variation. He took it to his RFD, and it was shipped to my RFD, and I picked it up from there once my ticket had arrived. So no problem with what you're suggesting.
    My RFD said they wouldn't charge for storage for up to one month, as they appreciated that it could take some time for my variation to be processed.
    However, they did add a "handling charge" to the courier fee!