Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paypal Gifts Gunstar Scam

Blog Entries

Paypal Gifts Gunstar Scam

I was just reading about a Scam on Gunstar which I thought may be worth filling you all in about.

Someone has been advertising Airgun/Firearm stuff and will then take Paypal as a "gift" to avoid paying the fees.

Of course the goods never show and as a "gift" there is no buyer protection. I can only imagine taking that one down my local police station.

I know we frequently do this in our classifieds but it might just be worth asking the buyer to pay the fees of 3.4%+20p to have it linked to a purchase.

If you do accept Paypal as a seller then you need to be aware that you are responsible for the delivery. So you must protect yourself by getting a signed for delivery. If you cannot prove postage and delivery then Paypal will charge you back and hand the buyers money back even before they have signed the Post Office declaration that the item was undelivered ( which the Post Office want before they will pay out from their insurance)
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Worth noting that paypal do no cover firearms or their parts, which includes air rifles as far as they are concerned!

worth noting that if you ever have the misfortune to test the Paypal protection policy for real you will quickly realise that they have little or no interest in upholding their end of the deal.

I have been fleeced as a buyer and a seller by Paypal

"buyer beware"

Its quite worrying we all buy things and put alot of trust into the seller, but its people like who make it hard for the genuine out there. I just hope the police catch up with them
    Atb
    Simon

Was this in the UK? Do you have a link? The MO sounds rather like a pair of well known fraudsters...

It is a concern and a genuine one. Without any intention of making this a soap box, advertisement or any other cliche -

1. Honesty is usually the best policy - if you as a buyer agree to a seller request to pay as a 'gift' on what you know is an outright purchase; then you are being dishonest. There are lots of reasons for it, but the base fact remains.

2. All that glitters is not gold ( cripes how David 'the chosen one' Ike put a creepy feel to that phrase! ), Its hard times all round and there are some good bargains out there. But always worth looking at who you deal with - is it worth a 10% saving to take a risk? The answer maybe yes - but at least keep it in mind.

3. Systems are systems and people are people. History shows every system ever devised can be perverted by humans. Like safety catches - never wholly rely upon them.

4. There are two sides to every story - it is very easy for misunderstandings to develop. But a genuine person values their reputation - hard won and easy destroyed. Sellers face the constant risk of people taking advantage top the same extent of vice versa. Great dealers may not be the penny cheapest, but will bend over backwards to sort a problem - because that is what they do.

Naturally I'd like to think we are one of the good guys ( I would say that!) and there are more than a few others on here - trade and straight members. There are even some great guys out there who dont want to join SD ( hard to believe I know). Just like 'Shane' the good guys are not necessarily those shouting loudest about this and that. But if you have a good deal/ service with anyone - it works in everyone's favour if you post a brief note. The flip side doesnt tend to work as well - back to two sides etc. But positive reinforcement works well.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    worth noting that if you ever have the misfortune to test the Paypal protection policy for real you will quickly realise that they have little or no interest in upholding their end of the deal.

"buyer beware"
    I was bl**dy lucky in that case... I bought a pair of Swaro binos, and immediately got a "dying of something nasty, please send cash, PayPal won't release funds for 2 weeks" bullsh*t email. Went to PayPal and money was back in 72 hours.

"Buyer beware" is absolutely right though - If it looks to good to be true etc... Once bitten

Cheers
    i.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

"buyer beware"
    +1

I have tested both pay pal's and ebays buyer and seller protection , neither is worth a cold turd in my opinion.

Thanks for the warning.
    I use Paypal/EBAY as a last resort.
    As they say 'cash is king', i sold an item on here recently, the buyer paid me via a BACS transfer, within 24 hours he had the item from me, i just wish we could all trust each other but these days it just isn't the case is it?
    Anyway can't spend anymore time on here, got a fallow to skin and butcher.
    Cheers
    Richard