Thread: RCBS Chargemaster Advice

RCBS Chargemaster Advice

Hi Lads/Lassies, Purchased one (from Amerca) a few months ago and did my first re-loads with it yesterday. I had one or two very minor problems (knocking the spout and getting a few grains on the pan). Otherwise the 45 rounds were loaded in very quick time and everything went very smoothly.
    My problem occurred when Discharging the excess powder once I had finished. Any advice on how to do this without getting powder scattered across the loading bench, would be much apprieciated.

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    My problem occurred when Discharging the excess powder once I had finished. Any advice on how to do this without getting powder scattered across the loading bench, would be much apprieciated.
    Aye - very slowly using a big funnel or something similar

I edge my machine so that the drain spout is overhanging the bench

I did a better one not that long ago...filled the hopper without realising that I'd not closed the drain spout fully...

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    Aye - very slowly using a big funnel or something similar

I edge my machine so that the drain spout is overhanging the bench

I did a better one not that long ago...filled the hopper without realising that I'd not closed the drain spout fully...
    Yup.... been there! except I hadn't closed the drain at all...... How so much powder can come out in such a short space of time is beyond me.... but WHAT A MESS!

I did same (when I had mind) move to edge of desk and put tub under drain, knock stubborn kernels loose with supplied brush, then put loading tray under back feet so the unit is tilted forwards and get it to dump a big load.. that will clear the trickler tube and drop what's left in the pan... et voila!

the simple answer to unloading the powder
    turn the machine so the spot is overhanging your bench
    get you tub of powder,turn the spout,powder dumps straight in
    whist powder is dumping and is below the spidle put your pan on the scale which empties the spindel into you tub whilst removinbg any further pwder into the pan
    job done ,simple
    one last job "dont forget to close the spout on the machine"

I use a small square box that my powder trickler lives in
    fits neatly under the drain works a treat .
    so not having to move it a re calibrate if changing powders for a different load
    regards pete .

Use the largest funnel you can get to drain the powder and the powder scale to empty the last remmants from the dispenser. Anyone who owns a Chargemaster will at some time forget to close the spout. All said and done a very useful tool.

Remove clear plastic guard, thumb on end of the silver spout move to the edge of the table, half a 2 litre pop bottle with neck in the powder tub then open the twist cap thing (with the bottle and powder tub under it). Once it is empty close the twist cap thing then set it to dispense 500 grains once it has cleared the majority of the powder from the silver spout into your pan trickle till the hole at the powders stack end of the silver spout is facing down and blow gently down the silver spout and open the twist cap thing over the pop bottle.

Hope that made sense!

Rick

Thanks for the advice lads, I was just not thinking at the time, tilted the unit and powder grains came out of the spout as well as the drain hole. I think that there must have been a bit of Static, as a fair number of odd powder grains adhered to the sides of the load canister.

You havenít had it bad until attempting clean up after a session with LilGun powder!

Even the long paint brush RCBS now provide wonít be enough to move that which adheres to the tunnel so I suggest getting a supply of pipe cleaners and wrap with kitchen towel then give it a good seeing to.

Horrible powder but the results in a Hornet make the headache worth it.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by techman View Post
    Thanks for the advice lads, I was just not thinking at the time, tilted the unit and powder grains came out of the spout as well as the drain hole. I think that there must have been a bit of Static, as a fair number of odd powder grains adhered to the sides of the load canister.
    Knock them off with the brush...