Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another 1st - A rather succesful Hare drive!!

Another 1st - A rather succesful Hare drive!!

Got invited on a friends annual hare drive on Saturday which was another 1st for me. 14 guns split in 2 teams, 7 walking guns driving the hares to 7 waiting guns on the blind side of a hedge or sitting in a ditch.

Total after only 4 hours shooting and 7 small drives, 57 hares and 3 bunnies!! I can honestly say I've never seen so many in such a relatively small area and there must be twice that still roaming around!! They shot 42 last year and it has had no affect on the numbers at all which is amazing considering the weather of last year!

I ended up with 5 for 9 shots, with the last drive ruining my numbers coz I missed both barrels twice at 2 that, on reflection with my inexperience were just a bit too far away!!

The numbers aint right in the 2nd pic as someone had a few in their truck!

Cheers

Glad you had a good day, but I could never shoot hare in those numbers,, It would take me all my time to shoot one hare, never mind 57.

Much prefered the sporting chance they got against a good lurcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Glad you had a good day, but I could never shoot hare in those numbers,, It would take me all my time to shoot one hare, never mind 57.

couldn't agree more, but then we dont have hares in that number ,i can see they'd be a pest ! just not my cup of tea

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post

Never had a chance against a GOOD lurcher Happy days.. Did you see the hare dodge the eagle on Fieldsports Britain last week ??? worth a look.....

Does anyone shoot Hares with a rifle? I have only ever seen 1 wild Hare in Cornwall, they are extremely thin on the ground down here.

Nothing like Hare drives to get your blood pumping and arse twitching, especially when the chap next to you keeps swinging their barrel past you loaded with No3 shot

Done it a couple of times but happy to give it a miss!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    Does anyone shoot Hares with a rifle? I have only ever seen 1 wild Hare in Cornwall, they are extremely thin on the ground down here.

Yeah,never seen one in Cornwall but a few in Devon,I saw at least 10 in a wood up there on saturday while stalking.........

I have nothing against shooting Hares being a dealer,but it does seem a funny time to be doing it seeing as they cannot be offered for sale after the end of February

Martin

Apparantly the game dealer these fellas use will take them this month at a reduced rate mate so they must freeze them until selling later on maybe?

I love hare, they're fantastic eating, but I've never shot one. I had a couple of shots at one in Scotland once and missed it as it accelerated from a slow lollop to going like a cheetah. That's the only chance I've ever had, I've never seen one on my limited patches in Kent and Sussex.