Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Binoculars.....what size ?

  1. #1

    Binoculars.....what size ?

    Hello All ,Anyone want to put suggestions for which size of Binoculars are better suited to field work...ie 8x42 , 10x50 etc....don't need makes because I will be on a tight budget.......Thanks Tommy
    Enjoy yourself ........it's later than you think !!

  2. #2
    Hello i use 8x42, they have good enough mag for my needs and fit in my pocket. I am also on a budget and use helios binos, they give good first and last light vision and cost about 70. I have heard they are made at the minox factory, whether this is true or not i dont know.

  3. #3

  4. #4

  5. #5
    SD Regular bobjs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tidworth/on here/or at Downton Abbey.
    Posts
    8,826
    Blog Entries
    5
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I read some where that the human eye can only use 7 mag or something like that ?

    so i went for 7x42, but having glasses is a pain in the first place.

    so i went with 7x42's

    bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

    Living with Lupus - YouTube

  6. #6
    I use 10x42. 10 mag can be too much sometimes and not enough at other times but I'm happy with what I have (Leica). My only advice is spend the most you can afford as quality counts especially at first and last light.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    I read some where that the human eye can only use 7 mag or something like that ?

    so i went for 7x42, but having glasses is a pain in the first place.

    so i went with 7x42's

    bob.
    i think that's more to do with max pupil size (7mm) i was told if you take the aperture of the lens divide by magnification leads to this figure. Mind you that was many years ago in school I may be wrong!!!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    i think that's more to do with max pupil size (7mm) i was told if you take the aperture of the lens divide by magnification leads to this figure. Mind you that was many years ago in school I may be wrong!!!!
    Correct Sir !
    Objective lense diameter divided by magnification is `exit pupil` diameter.

    HWH.

  9. #9
    I have 10x42 Swaros and now wished I bought the 8x42 version as I find the higher mag just a little shaky for glassing the forestry where I do most of my stalking.

    willie

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    Correct Sir !
    Objective lense diameter divided by magnification is `exit pupil` diameter.

    HWH.

    The optimum is 8x56...........

Similar Threads

  1. Binoculars -- which magnification/objective lens size
    By trimix in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 15:55
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-09-2012, 19:28
  3. Binoculars - what size?
    By JabaliHunter in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 17:23
  4. For Sale .243 Neck Size Die and .308 Neck Size Die
    By Sinistral in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-05-2011, 16:34
  5. Binoculars - on a budget for stalking binoculars?
    By bod1st in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-09-2010, 20:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •