Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deer stalking rights / shooting rights

deer stalking rights / shooting rights

hi been looking into leasing ground but in the agreement it only says shooting rights and was wondering are shooting rights the same as stalking rights. just want to be sure as this is a 5 year agreement and dont want to be tied up just to shooting pigeon on it any advise would be great thanks in advance jas
    Last edited by jas; 25-02-2013 at 23:59.

I would expect it either to list the species you are allowed to shoot, or to mean all shooting rights.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

I would have thought that in the absence of further clarification that deer should be included. However it is a bit vague and should be clarified in writing. Also important is who retains ownership of the carcass after it is shot

To save potential problems it might be best to clarify that the shooting rights include deer, game & vermin and use of shotguns & rifles as appropriate. atb Tim

My understanding is shooting/sporting rights are pheasant, etc etc and stalking rights cover deer, and the two are different things. Better to clarify with the chaps who hold the rights and check if you can shoot deer and if not can you get them added. Worst thing you could do here is assume either way.

+1 Make it quite clear in the agreement that deer stalking is included with the shooting rights. More importantly make sure that the person leasing you the rights actually own those rights.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    +1 Make it quite clear in the agreement that deer stalking is included with the shooting rights. More importantly make sure that the person leasing you the rights actually own those rights.
    Good point, it is not unknown for tenant farmers to try to extend their vermin shooting rights to deer. atb Tim

thanks for all the replies went up to day with the dog for a look about saw no sing of deer any where or anything eles got talking to a old fella in round the area he has lived there for over 60 years and never saw any deer about it between that and the dog finding nothing i think it might just be another fell trying to make a quick buck

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    thanks for all the replies went up to day with the dog for a look about saw no sing of deer any where or anything eles got talking to a old fella in round the area he has lived there for over 60 years and never saw any deer about it between that and the dog finding nothing i think it might just be another fell trying to make a quick buck
    Theres plenty of them around that's for sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Good point, it is not unknown for tenant farmers to try to extend their vermin shooting rights to deer. atb Tim
    Quite so.
    Also it is not unknown for members of a game shooting syndicate to try and extend their rights on to the deer.
    A syndicate on one of my deer leases had to be sent a letter by the estates agent at my behest.

HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 26-02-2013 at 18:37. Reason: Word change.