Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Warning.

Another Warning.

Get .224 bullets while you can.
    I just spent the greater part of 2 hours looking through some of the US's largest wholesalers and found almost nothing. The Speer TNT 33 grain ash can Hornet bullets, one box of TNT 50 grain, 2 boxes of 90 grn VLD's and the odd Nosler Green bullet or varmint Ballistic tip. Some of the short 45 grain Hornet bullets were available. No back orders accepted. No delivery dates.

It is going to be a long, dry summer for those who weren't prepared.~Muir

Thanks Muir, already stocking up. Got my limits on 243 and 30 cal just ordered my limit in 270 from Cliffsgunsmithing. I got Speer grand slams for $32 (20) for 50. and A Lee neck sizer for 12 bargain.
    Tusker.

I was going to say the same the other night. Its starting to affect .308 bullets aswell struggling to get my usual stuff from sierra. I have to say this shows you how much we rely on America. cheers Hootsman
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

Then look to Europe then, some of the best ammunition and components have been coming out of Europe for years.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Plenty of ammo here. Going to the gun shop tomorrow they have a deal on ammo. Remington .308 loaded with the bonded bullet. It buy one box get one free.

My biggest concern is primers......!

i'm prepared.... bring on the zombies

I know that the more serious shooters keep up to supply levels but there are less-informed, or less frequent shooters who are going to be lost. I have seen a stream of casual shooters leave the trading post empty handed. It's sad and I feel for them.

8X57: That's a lucky thing. I wish we could get some here. I have a question though: how come you seldom-verging-on-never read about anyone using them? Are they more expensive?

Lastly, I was scrounging the racks at the trading post and found, stuffed way behind the current 6.5mm 140 grain SST's (iirc) two dusty boxes of my beloved Hornady 160 grain RN six-point fives. The price tags were from 1993 @ $16/100. The nice girl behind the counter gave then to me for $12 each and then sold me some primers for $30/1000. Gad. If I was younger...~Muir

The problem that we have Muir is that two companies control the importation and distribution of the vast majority of reloading components and rifle ammunition which is mainly from the U.S. in their case. They literally dominate the market and shooters generally take the easy option and have themselves become used to and dependat on their products. The gunshops are so dependant on these two suppliers that they are afraid to buy elsewhere for fear of upsetting the big two and having their supply cut off. It's not that these two large companies are any good in fact there's a bit of a "take it or leave it" attitude.

Personally I don't mind using RWS or Sellier & Bellot primers whenever I can get hold of them, but most shooters have become so imprinted with the U.S. brands that they go into a blind panic if they don't see Federal, CCI or Remington in the shops.
    Now we have been using Vihtavouri and Lapua products for years and they are aclaimed as some of the best, not to mention Norma and RWS so why panic. We also have access to Prvi Partizan and Sellior & Bellot not to mention Accurate Arms powders from the Czech Republic (not the U.S.) and a few other European manufacturers besides imports from South America and Australia so why panic. What really needs to be done is that some of the European manufacturers need to get up off their arses and develop the British and European market reloading markets more.

As for cost I'm a bit of a skinflint and shop around and usually find that some of the European (not all) products are cheaper. Some products are aimed at the cheaper end of the market and some are premium items with costs that reflect this, but the problem is all down to availability due distributor domination and manipulation of the market.
    Last edited by 8x57; 28-02-2013 at 07:57.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The problem that we have Muir is that two companies control the importation and distribution of the vast majority of reloading components and rifle ammunition which is mainly from the U.S. in their case. They literally dominate the market and shooters generally take the easy option and have themselves become used to and dependat on their products. The gunshops are so dependant on these two suppliers that they are afraid to buy elsewhere for fear of upsetting the big two and having their supply cut off. It's not that these two large companies are any good in fact there's a bit of a "take it or leave it" attitude.

Personally I don't mind using RWS or Sellier & Bellot primers whenever I can get hold of them, but most shooters have become so imprinted with the U.S. brands that they go into a blind panic if they don't see Federal, CCI or Remington in the shops.
    Now we have been using Vihtavouri and Lapua products for years and they are aclaimed as some of the best, not to mention Norma and RWS so why panic. We also have access to Prvi Partizan and Sellior & Bellot not to mention Accurate Arms powders from the Czech Republic (not the U.S.) and a few other European manufacturers besides imports from South America and Australia so why panic. What really needs to be done is that some of the European manufacturers need to get up off their arses and develop the British and European market reloading markets more.
    Here here!